Chapter 45: Destined

My hands trembled. I tried to clean up the mess of the broken bottle on the floor to avoid facing Callahan. Was it true? Zackary was being engaged to Rebecca? But he was just here days ago... he told me... I thought...

Hindi ako makapag-isip nang maayos. Without even noticing it, a shard of glass pricked my finger. Tinitigan ko ang patak ng dugong tumulo mula dito.

Hindi ko alam kung ilang minuto akong nakaupo sa sahig nang hilain ni Callahan ang kamay ko. Dinala niya ako sa kalapit na sink. He placed my palm on the running water, diluting the red blood.

My gaze remained blank as he sat me back on the seat. He grabbed something from the shelves to clean the cut and cover it. I tried to say something but my mouth remained dry.

"It's only proper that you know about this," he told me, eyes still fixed on the cut on my finger. "That is... if you're a indeed a woman of Zackary."

I bit my lower lip, my eyes started to sting at the corners. Hanggang sa tuluyang tumulo ang luha sa aking pisngi. Tahimik ko itong pinahid nang may nanginginig na kamay.

Pinagmasan ni Callahan ang aking mukha, tila hindi inaasahan ang luhang nanggaling sa mga mata ko. "So you really have feelings for the alpha."

I blinked, realizing the weight of his words. Umiling ako. "I don't... I can't..."

I heard a scoff from him while standing tall in front of me in the cramped clinic. "You don't?" Tila natawa siya sa sinabi ko. "Look at you, Eleanor. You're a mess and you're telling me Zackary means nothing to you?"

Hindi ako nakasagot. I lowered my gaze to the floor, confused on my own emotions. These tears, the pain blossoming in my chest, the trembling of my hands at the mere mention of Zackary's name. I thought... it was all admiration and respect for him... for being the alpha... for being there for me.

Because no matter how much Zackary assured me. I couldn't let myself have this kind of connection to him... specially now. Now that he was destined for someone else.

"It's the truth..." I mumbled to Callahan. "He really is destined for someone like Rebecca."

Bumuntong-hininga si Callahan at bumalik sa pagkakaupo sa kalapit na silya. Sa mga nakalipas na buwan, isa siya sa mga laging nakakakita nang kahinaan ko.

"It was announced in a meeting," he muttered. "I happened to be with my father. Everyone who matters in town was there, including the council member."

I clasped the skirt of my dress, dreading the words.

"It was announced by the Sir. It was only proper, now that Zackary's an alpha and the Maven granddaughter is his mate. It was almost expected of them. But the Van Zanths seem to refused the idea and relied their decision to Zackary."

His mate...

"But there was no decision made," Callahan resumed. "Because Zackary rushed out of the dinner meeting." I raised my head to stare at Callahan. Tila maging siya ay hindi alam ang dahilan ng bagay na kanyang binanggit.

"He left everyone like he had something more important to do."

Sandali akong natahimik sa sinabi niya. Isang bagay ang pumasok sa isip ko. Pero hindi... imposible. "Callahan..." I started. "When was the meeting held?"

Kumunot muli ang kanyang noo sa tanong ko. "Thursday last week."

Natulala ako sa sinabi niya. It was the night of the thunderstorm. It was the night I got lost in the mountain and Zackary was the one who found me and brought me back to the village.