Chapter 54: Reunited

My blood donor was Alexander.

The fact made me restless for the rest of the morning. Pagdating ng  lunch, pinuntahan ko ang ilang orders na nagbabantay sa apothecary  and asked them about Alexander.

"Nasa camp siya ngayon, Ms. Eleanor, nagt-train ng mga orders."

Training camp. It was too far from here and there was no connection or way to contact him.

"Sa susunod na araw pa siya makakabalik."

I asked them if they can relay a message for him. I wanted to talk to Alexander when he comes back in town.

Hindi ako makapag-focus sa aking trabaho sa tower.

Family. That can't be. But who am I? I can't even remember. I've been refusing to remember. But for the first time, I wanted to regain the memories I've lost.

Anabeth and I stayed in the hall after dinner. Sinabi ko sa kanya ang nalaman ko. That Alexander was my blood donor. Pero maging siya ay alam ang bagay na ito.

"It was the reason why you were pulled out of danger," she told me.

"Pero... paano nangyari 'yon?"

"When you were brought to the hospital in town to be treated for the gunshot, Alexander was the one who approached the senior staff. He  told them he can provide the blood you needed. We didn't question him. We were losing hope of finding a match. But he ended up being your perfect blood match."

"But... our kind only matches with families." I tried to make sense of Anabeth's statement. "It's stated in the books. It's why blood lost is the most fatal condition for our kind. Because even the same type of blood can be repelled by our bodies."

Anabeth nodded to assure me I wasn't wrong. "The chance for a stranger to be a perfect blood match is low but possible. Although I personally don't think that was your case."

"Since he requested not to mention it to you, we have no choice but to comply to the beta. But since you've discovered it on your own. I guess he can no longer avoid it."

Anabeth leaned against the chair. "To be honest, I'm curious too. The beta is a secretive person. Only Uncle Sebastian knew things about  him."

"Sir Sebastian?"

Anabeth nodded. "Yes, Alexander grew up under Uncle Sebastian's care."

Humugot ako nang malalim na hininga. "Can I... meet with the former beta?"

--

Anabeth informed Sir Sebastian of my request to talk to him. The next day, I took the day-off to visit their residence without Anabeth. It was  my first time to do so.

Once again, I arrived at the familiar neighborhood. A peaceful street  lined with wide yards belonging to these beautiful family homes. I approached the yard with the big oak tree where I recognized Ms. Venise on a bench reading a medical book and Vincent slumped on the grass with his wooden toys.

"Elya!"

Vincent was the first one to notice my arrival. He dropped his toys to the ground and run to my direction. Tuwing nakikita ko siya, tila mas lalo siyang tumatangkad.

"Hi Vincent," I pinched his little cheek.

Ms. Venise approached me with her hand on her belly. She's several months pregnant by now kaya nagdala ako ng supplement mula sa apothecary.

"We've been expecting you, Eleanor," she greeted. "We're about to  have lunch. You should join us."

Pumasok kaming tatlo sa loob ng bahay where the smell of food in the kitchen wafted on our faces. It smelled of good food. A soup and something savory.