Chapter 98: Setting The Play

"It's a shame that we have to be here with war in our baskets...." Moonbyul looks around. It is true, without any of the destruction and vandalism Yaral would be one of the best romantic getaway places.

"Yaral is also known as the city for lovers, until Eye of Horus dips its fucking foot here. Halt. Over here." Agonist raises her fist, signalling them to go into the alley on their left.

"What's up? Why are we changing course?" Kim Lip inquires.

"Death Masks; Eye of Horus' special police. They roam the streets for rebels. Those captured, will never see the light of day again." From the corner of the alley, they can see a group of seven figures wearing silver falcon mask and fully equipped with battle gears.

"Observe the gait pattern. Claudius already mobilized his tin soldiers." Yeji nods at the Death Masks. True enough, their movements look stiff and heavy.

"So, Gestapo. I dunno why but somehow whenever Claudius is involved, there's a strong form of fascism. Was he a friend of Hitler or something?" Wendy lights her cigarette, handing Rachel one.

"Or maybe he was the one who taught Hitler about fascism. Could be." Rachel adds. The rest only stare at the two, wondering what they are talking about.

"Who's Hitler?" Jinsoul asks them.

"I'mma tell you in person later. Don't wanna risk the writer getting barred from raising such sensitive issue." Della shushes Jinsoul up, winking at the wall besides her. Della is being playful, yes. But her action made everyone grimacing with cringe.

"I think everyone oversells Kingsglaives..." Agonist shakes her head, her doubt about the competency of Kingsglaive starting to arises.

"I heard that, you know?" As a part of Kingsglaive's High Council, Wendy calls her out with a pout.

"It was meant to be heard. We're here. Stay close to me." Agonist sneers at Wendy, giving the challenge to open the door of the building.

The guard lets them in, and compared to Death Mask, their equipments are those of primitive; makeshift and handmade. Even the weapons they used are those of who- knows-what era. Another guard opens the trapdoor, a stair leading down into the subterranean level. From the look of the wall, it seems that the subterranean were built long before the building above, probably from the early 1900s.

"Fuck... This is Homefront: Resistance. Instead of a game, this is real life..." Rachel winces as she sees the condition underground. The mazes of tunnels are packed with people, resistance fighters and refugees alike. The foul stench is suffocating, reflecting the poor quality of life underneath. Out from one corner, the group is rushed by a group of children; ragged clothes covered with dirt all over, begging the group for food.

"Oi! Hands off! Go see Bjorn! Go!" Agonist shoos them away. Sujeong is about to take out a cereal bar from her pocket but Jin stops her, shaking her head.

"If you can't provide for every one of them, don't. You'll only provide them with empty hopes..." Sujeong can only bites on her lips, frustrated for not being able to do anything for the children. This is where her motherly instinct overwhelms her the most; reminding her of her own daughter back home.

"Welcome to the other side of the curtain. The highest casualty of war is not of soldiers, but civilian like them." Yiren adds as they pushes on further. Moonbyul is obviously disturbed by the reality, only to be soothe over when Rachel grips on her hand tight.

They now arrive at an open space, with a structure made up of plywoods and metal plates. In front of the structure four men and women stand guard. This is obviously the center of the operation.