CH 37. Combating Candice

~Snowpoint City Gym~

     Isaiah felt uneasy at the thought of Brent watching him battle. He found it strange how Brent appeared to be hiding at Lake Acuity before their battle. Another thing he couldn't shake was the familiarity of his presence. Isaiah knew he got that exact feeling from somewhere else but he couldn't quite think of where from.

"You got this man!" Brent shouted.

His voice brought Isaiah back to the reality that was the Snowpoint City Gym. Candice stood opposite him, pokéball in hand, raring to began. He admired the guts it took for her to wear a skirt in the frigid gym building. The woman took her place as a PBLSA representative in the center field peering at both sides.

She pushed her bifocals up, "this will be a five-on-five battle. Candice, Snowpoint City's gym leader, versus Isaiah Wright, from Jubilife City." The judge raised her right hand and dropped it giving the 'began' signal then jogged to the side for safety

"Isaiah Wright? You're the challenger that took down Byron's Mega Steelix without using your own mega. His challenger of the week right?" Candice quizzed.

"Guilty," he replied.

She readied her pokéball, "I'm not allowing that to happen in my gym!" Candice curved her arm as she hurled her pokéball and Froslass materialized on the field.

"Battle, Pawniard!"

"Field-effect activate!" The judge shouted from the sideline. A few seconds later it started to hail directly over the battlefield, which didn't surprise Isaiah. What did surprise him was the additional effect. Candice's team receives an Aurora Veil damage reduction boost for the first five turns of the match.

His choice in Pokemon was mainly due to Pawniard resisting both of Froslass STAB moves being ice and ghost type. On the other hand, both of Pawniard's STAB moves, steel and dark type, are super-effective. Froslass's snow cloak ability is the biggest issue he had to get past in order to win. In the hail, Froslass's evasiveness is increased and there's nothing more frustrating than something you can't hit.

"Blizzard, let go Froslass!"
"Sucker Punch, now!"

Pawniard sprinted ahead with its arm blade engulfed misty purple energy. The dark type priority move went first but Pawniard slashed into a would-be Froslass. The figure simply faded into the hailstorm without a trace. Isaiah and Pawniard looked around the battlefield frantically.

"There, behind you Pawniard!"

Froslass seemed to appear out of thin air before blasting the unavoidable blizzard at Pawniard's back. During a hail storm, Blizzard will always hit the target. The sharp blade Pokémom stumbled forward from the attack and shook off the falling hail damage.

"Quick, use Night Slash!"

Pawniard swatted at the ice-type, only to fail in its attempt. Froslass had repositioned itself above Pawniard, gathering a sphere of ghostly energy in front of its mouth.