Bear 5

(Ball got a bath lol)

This is going to be a problem soon if I don't separate them. 

The drive was nearly an hour, unfortunately. That was a long time for a bear and a bomb to be locked in close quarters together. He almost considered dropping Marshall off earlier, but his brother proved just how important being in your own territory was... and how dangerous it can be if something tried to suddenly become top dog in it. 

Deep breaths, Rane. He's behaving. 

He caught his brother's eyes in the rearview mirror and felt his breath hitch at the faded gold color still lurking in them. 

He hasn't been able to pull it back completely yet...

"Ranger, I need the numbers for this months report," he said out of the blue, snapping his brother out of his thoughts, at least for the moment. 

It was a relief when Ranger took in a deep breath, then let it out before pulling out his phone and beginning to go through the charts they'd made for their business. Walker knew that he wouldn't remember shit with how stressed he currently was, but he appreciated his brother humoring him, and he knew that Ranger desperately needed something to grasp for his sanity. He rarely ever, ever, let his shift out. Even that split second he'd let it attack Marsh had taken a lot out of him, and even though he could finally manage to keep it beneath his skin safely after years of hard work, it always lurked, especially if he'd let it see the light of day recently. 

It was an absolutely gorgeous and rare animal, definitely not something seen in the modern day, but that came with a heavy price. Their family was one of the few carriers for its genetics, and they often paid the price. Suicide rates were extremely high for those who were unlucky enough to possess it, but thankfully the gene wasn't passed down to everyone. It only selected a very small amount of descendants to inhabit. Ranger was the only one in their current family's living generations that had to deal with it. Walker was pretty much human, for all intents and purposes, even though they were identical twins. 

There wasn't a day that went by that he didn't wish to take some of his brother's burden away, though. While others who saw the rare glimpse of their family's curse were always awed, it was extremely dangerous and hard as hell to keep beneath ones skin. Once the beast was out, however, there was no way to control its actions unless it was retracted back beneath the surface... where it continued to rage and try to claw its way out while wild snarls echoed in its host's head, driving them mad. 

"We should have at least fifteen calves next month," Ranger went on, his focus now firmly on the information he was giving Walker. 

"I'll have to get the barn set up. We have the stalls, but we were a bit short on our hay yield this year, can you order some tomorrow when you do the one for the grains and supplements?" he asked, getting an affirmative grunt from his brother as he typed some reminders on his phone. 

He checked Marshall with a quick glance over his shoulder, but the guy was wisely keeping his eyes down. It was clear that he was still on-edge, but at least he had stopped growling. Ranger really didn't react well to growling when his shift was nudging at the surface. 

"We'll be there soon," he said to both of them. 

The atmosphere relaxed a bit at his words and he and Ranger continued to go over what else they needed for their animals during the upcoming winter. He would be lying if he wasn't secretly calculating what they might need to help a bear through the cold weather, too, but he knew that once they let him go, chances are that they would never see him again. There was no way he'd be able to hunt this season. He'd die come winter. 

Nature was cruel, but there was nothing he could do, especially not with Ranger so volatile. They'd had no choice but to put Marshall in Ranger's concrete stall. He hadn't used it in a long time, but it was still his territory. He'd spent many months, day after day, week after week, locked in there when he hadn't been able to handle the animal lurking in his body. He'd hated that space. Had always desperately wanted to be freed from it... but it was his, and it always will be. 

That's why, when he saw Marshall attack his brother, in his own territory, his control had slipped. Granted, Walker greatly appreciated the save, but now they had to deal with the aftermath. 

After another twenty minutes of discussing things for the ranch Walker pulled the SUV over onto the side of the road, then hopped out. Marsh didn't hesitate to shove his own door open and fumble out. 

The abrupt rumbling growl from inside the car made Walker hurry to Marsh's side and slam the door shut before Ranger could react further. His brother didn't need to see a predator trying to run away from him. That wasn't a chase Marsh would be able to handle... and it wouldn't last long. 

"Are you okay?" he asked as he carefully helped Marshall up. 

He could tell that the guy was having trouble with his bad leg but bit his tongue on speaking further. The guy had made his decision. He didn't want their help, either. He'd made that abundantly clear. 

"Well, I'm sorry that things turned out this way. Please take care of yourself," he said with little weight to his words. 

They both knew what would happen. 

Marsh lifted his nose to the wind and sniffed, seemingly becoming more at ease as he scented his territory. It was nearing midnight, with almost no one out on the road. Crickets, owls, and other nocturnal insects chorused around them as a chilly breeze hinted at winter's fast approach. 

"I-I'll come back," Walker hurriedly whispered out as Marsh turned toward the woods. His steps faltered as he looked back at the man, confused. 

Walker straightened his shoulders and after a quick glance inside his dark car to be sure that Ranger was under control, he returned his attention to Marsh. 

"I'll come back. Right to this spot. In three weeks, if you need help, please, meet me here." 

He couldn't see Marsh's expression very well with the limited light, but he could see his head turn toward the car, no doubt worried about Ranger. 

"He's really not bad. He just reacted because you had attacked me. He's not a bad guy," he said, trying to reassure him. He knew that it was probably fruitless, though. Ranger wasn't a bad guy. He was sweet, hard-working, and an absolute play boy. He'd worked so hard to keep his dark side chained up deep down inside himself. He deserved a chance to show that he wasn't the animal he had to keep locked up. 

"I think you guys would honestly become good friends if you gave each other a chance,"  he said, the hope in his voice sounding fake, even to himself. Of course, he wanted them to get along, but two predators? Both seemingly out of control when released? It wouldn't happen. 

Marsh seemed to think the same thing, because he silently turned toward the forest and began ascending toward the tree-line. Right before he vanished into the darkness, Walker ran to the edge of the road and yelled after him. 

"Remember! I'll come back in three weeks! I promise I'll be here if you need me!"