Bear 24

(Took Pepperjack instead of my other dog, Raquetball, to my parent's house for the holidays since she does better with dogs. My roommate failed to tell me that she MUST have a pillow of her own... or she'll steal yours.) 

An unfamiliar chime slowly woke Ranger from his deep sleep. He didn't open his eyes right away, though, because he could tell that he was being carried. It wasn't cold, so he knew right away that he was still inside the house, but he couldn't quite figure out why someone would be taking him somewhere else. 

Where did I fall asleep again? 

"The sofa, love," came Heian's deep, whispered voice from above. 

Right, they had fallen asleep on the couch... right in front of his brother and his bear. 

Embarrassment welled in his belly, but before he could dwell on it he felt his back softly settled against his bedsheets. His heavy blanket was soon to follow as it was tugged up and over him, but when he realized that it was just himself in the bed, he finally did open his eyes. 

Heian was leaning over him with a warm smile, but Ranger's attention was quickly stolen by the little flashing red light beneath the man's shirt. 

Come to think of it, I've seen him wearing a small electronic locket before. Is it a medical device? Is he okay? 

A hand settling on his head brought his eyes back up to Heian's before the man began to speak. 

"I'm fine, love. It's an alarm to let me know when Nia is at the door."

Ah, that makes sense. He did mention that she had shifted and sat outside before without him knowing. 

"Yes, so I got this device for when I'm not home."

Ranger tilted his head on his pillow, wanting to ask if that meant that Heian would be leaving now, but of course, the answer to that was obvious. 

"Okay," he whispered quietly, not wanting to seem upset. 

He had no reason to be jealous over the man's own daughter, anyways. She should always be first... he just wasn't used to wanting attention, at least not from another man. 

And one with his priorities as straight as a line. Who is unfairly hot. And could probably get just about any—He cut off his thought process after a hesitant look up at a smirking Heian. He'd totally forgotten that the man could read his mind and he'd just went on about how amazing he was. 

Yanking his blanket up over his head, Ranger bit back a groan and waited for the guy to tease him, but when he felt the bed depress on either side of his legs, then upper body, he froze. The person above him stopped moving, too, until Ranger felt his heart slowly calm down a little. 

That's when he felt Heian's hand gently peel back the blanket he'd pulled over himself and lean down. 

"I just wanted to amend that last thought of yours," he said quietly, his words nearly a whisper, yet still so loud in the dark room. 

"I don't care who I can get, because there's only one person I want, and all I want to do is keep him happy and one day hear that he'd like to spend the rest of his life with me."

The kiss to his hair that followed that statement had Ranger's brain short-circuiting from heat. 

"Sorry, a bit too much," Heian said with a quiet chuckle as he mussed up Ranger's hair, getting a growled warning in response. 

"There's my Kit."

Ranger scoffed and yanked his blanket back up and over his head. 

"Get lost, you perverted horse."