Bear 38

(Trying to write on the couch with dogs be like... Also, slight content warning)

He just couldn't stop himself. As soon as he was sure that his brother would be fine with his guardian bear and their new uninvited guest, he'd booked it back over to Heian's house. Thankfully, the kids were playing outside in their shift forms, with Nia leading Toshi's little foal around by the halter that had been placed over his head. 

It actually seemed like he could see a tiny bit in his horse form, but he definitely wasn't fighting the help she was offering. In fact, he was practically glued to her side. 

I bet one of the first thing Heian's going to do as his father is take Toshi to an eye doctor. If there's any hope that he can see even a little bit as a horse, he'd definitely want to try and help him get his eyesight better. 

His thoughts brought a big smile to his face as he hopped the nearby fence. Nia immediately took notice, drawing Toshi's little foal's attention in his direction, too, but it didn't seem like the boy could see him at all from where they stood. 

"Just visiting again, sweetheart," he said, making her horse's ears twitch a little. 

She seemed to be contemplating jump the fence and running over to him, but almost as fast as the thoughts welled up, she quelled them with one look down at her little half brother. 

No running around with him quite yet. You're a good big sister already. 

She snorted, as if hearing his praise and accepting it with gratitude. 

"Enjoy yourselves but be careful with him, Nia," Ranger said with a smile and a nod before heading toward the house. 

To his surprise, someone was waiting for him, standing just outside of the open front door. The moment he saw him Ranger's heart sped up in his chest, making his legs do the same. He easily covered the last bit of pasture before hopping the final fence. When he got to the over side, strong arms were already there, waiting to pull him into a suffocatingly-strong, yet warm hug. 

Why does it feel so good to just be here with him? 

Heian's arms loosened around him, but he could tell that the man wanted to do the exact opposite. 

"We have an audience," Heian whispered against his ear, drawing Ranger's attention toward the fence. 

Nia was watching them pointedly, but Toshi was clearly unable to see them at all and was simply sniffing at the wooden fence they were standing behind. 

Inside? 

The simple, one-worded question was an invitation Ranger couldn't refuse. He did hesitate for a moment, however, glancing back at the kids by the fence. 

Nia is more than capable of watching out for him in her horse form, and she also is able to get my attention in seconds if anything should go wrong. 

He had a point. The man was even wearing an extra alarm necklace, and after one final glance back at the kids, he noticed one looped around Toshi's little neck now. 

I think he could seriously be in the running for worlds best dad.

Ranger's thoughts were blurred when he was suddenly pulled quickly toward the house, dispersing his previous musings as he focused on matching Heian's hurried pace. 

"Everything okay?" he asked, a little confused at the man's sudden change of pace. 

His question was answered the moment they got inside, however, because he was quickly shoved up against the wall right next to the door and kissed to the point of being breathless. In fact, by the time he'd managed to catch his breath and blink away the blurriness their abrupt activity had caused in his vision, he realized that he had slid down the wall at some point and was mysteriously missing his shirt.