Bear 34

(Pepperjack always looks so judgmental.)

Ranger stayed still for however long it took Heian to find himself again. When that time finally came, he watched silently as the man pulled away slowly, straightened his stature and forced an exhausted, fake smile. 

This definitely hadn't been how he'd thought their night would go, but he could tell that it was about to get much worse if he didn't try to pull Heian out of his own head for a little while. 

"Hey love?" 

The word felt awkward on his tongue, especially since it was Heian's pet name for him, but he felt like it needed to be said right then, so he just let it happen. Thankfully, it seemed to work, because he felt the static in Heian's mind quiet a little as he blinked away the last of the water trying to escape his reddened eyes. 

"Both of the kids are asleep," Ranger said slowly, trying to plan his words as carefully as possible. He was just opening his mouth to speak again when his stomach growled loud enough to wake the dead. 

Oops...

His cat had evidently drained him of both energy and sustenance. He thought that he'd just ruined the situation by being hungry, but when he saw Heian's eyes squint as he gave out a quiet, tired laugh, he halted his oncoming awkward apology. 

"I butchered a few chickens the other day... how does chicken noodle soup and garlic bread sound?" Heian asked with a slight head tilt that allowed a few lengths of his long, soft hair to drift in front of his eyes before he brushed it back behind his ear. 

Fuck, I think that sentence just got me partially hard. 

Ranger yelped abruptly when Heian yanked him into another, much stronger hug. He also buried his face back into Ranger's shoulder, but this time it was to try and stifle his loud laughter. 

"You are a treasure, love," Heian whispered against his neck as he kissed it. 

Ranger was about to think something along the lines of not truly deserving such praise, because he was still very uncertain about the new child that would surely be a part of his life if he remained with Heian, but before he could even process the words, he was being lifted up into Heian's arms like a child. 

Damn, I could have sworn that we were close to the same size. 

"Happiness can make people a tad stronger than they usually are... and I just wanted to hold you," Heian said as he turned and carried him back inside, nudging the door shut with his foot. 

Ranger reached over and turned the lock, but he fidgeted a few times while doing so because someone was taking full advantage of him still being naked and squeezing his backside a bit much. 

When he turned his body back to face Heian and met the man's dark eyes, he easily saw the mischief trying, but failing, to hide behind his pupils. 

"I feel like you should have been a fox shifter instead of a horse," Ranger grumbled out as he tried to hide his own growing smile. 

Heian let it slide with a wink before carrying Ranger all the way up the stairs to their room. 

"Is your cat okay for a while?" Heian asked after setting Ranger down, before finding him some of the clothing he'd left there last time. 

Nodding, Ranger accepted the items and quickly got dressed. 

"I should be good." 

He wanted to say why his cat had reacted the way it had, but he didn't want to bring up the whole situation again. They could discuss it another time. His feline had gotten quite possessive.