Bear 26

Ranger really needed to head home. It was already getting close to ten and he had quite a few chores to do come morning. Dinner had been phenomenal, and if food could completely silence his nerves, he would have found a ring to put on Heian's finger the second he'd finished his third helping. 

Unfortunately, he was much too fidgety once there was nothing left to eat and all the small talk had been said. Nia had been an absolute sweetheart and had braided a small portion of his hair on the left side, even tying it off with a few pretty pink sparkly beads before she had Heian help her upstairs to bed. 

Closing his eyes with a deep breath, he focused on trying to calm his nerves for the hundredth time. Heian had gotten up to do the dishes, and he could hear him walk over several times to remove what remained so that they could be loaded, too. He wanted to help. Had even intended to do it all himself as thanks for the meal, but as he finally pealed his eyes open again, the same nervousness hit him as he watched the man who was currently pursuing him work in the kitchen. 

"Ranger?" 

Blinking, Ranger stiffened when he realized that he'd zoned out while staring. 

Heian was now right next to him, a worried look on his face that made him feel a little ashamed. 

"It's okay if you'd like to go home, Ranger. I only invited you for dinner and to spend some time together with you and Nia. I don't want you to stress about anything else," he said as he reached forward and gently sifted his fingers through his hair. 

His cat surfaced at the sensation, as it was always one to love getting pets... from Heian only. He could tell that it was visible in his eyes, too, because Heian couldn't hold back his grin after a few minutes and chuckled. 

"I see you, Kit. I hope you enjoyed the food, too," he said, earning a grumble from Ranger's mouth that was definitely more feline than human. 

"Your shift is adorable, by the way. Ferocious teeth, claws, and all. He has a pretty good attitude for such a predator, too," Heian said, making Ranger's cat preen itself beneath his skin. 

It had a terrible attitude, but it seemed to worship Heian and always behaved for him. 

Rolling his eyes, Ranger stood up from the table, feeling his stomach ache slightly with the weight it now carried. "You're going to make him shift again just for some more compliments."

He didn't want to shift again so soon, but he also wasn't sure that he'd even make it back home before curling up somewhere and falling asleep for the night. He might need his cat's coat. 

Heian took a step back to give Ranger room to move away from the table, while at the same time responding to the hint he'd clearly caught in his thoughts. 

"I will gladly give you a ride home, and I mean in my car this time," he said with a small wink. And I'll try not to instigate your cat too much. I like him, but I do prefer to be around your human self a tad more. 

 He was about to head for the door when he remember something important. When he turned around, Heian was standing by the stairs, nonchalantly smiling with his hands in his pockets. 

"I'll be taking my lasso home," Ranger grumbled as he walked past the other man and headed up the stairs. 

Surprisingly, he didn't hear Heian follow after him, making him pause at the top of the steps to look down at the man watching him. 

"I'll wait here. It's was a nice view, anyways," he said, though Ranger could hear his thoughts for the first time in a bit. They added and I don't want to stress you out more.