Bear 21

(This has been one heck of a busy week XD Short chapter but Marsh wanted to say something.) 

This one is mine. 

Marsh lay silently against his sleeping man, hugging Walker's head gently to his chest. He hadn't quite meant to snap at Ranger earlier, but before they had both gone to bed earlier Walker had gotten a call from one of his hunting friends. He'd been trying to reach them for a while, but the constant snow storms had made their phone connection spotty, at best. 

His friend had recovered, but there were deep scars left. They had chatted over text a few times, but earlier he had let it slip that he actually had the bear with him. Of course, then his friend had told the others, and they decided immediately, and without hesitation, to kill it. 

Walker had told them that he was a shifter and not just a bear, and that he'd been out in the wild for too long and was just reacting the way bears would. They hadn't been impressed with his words, and while the fact that he was a shifter took shooting him off the table, they still didn't seem like they were willing to let the subject drop. 

That, in turn, had made Walker stress out, and he'd only just managed to calm down enough to rest moments before Ranger had barged in. 

It was close to sunrise when he felt Walker stir against him again. 

I want to lick...

He was just about to do just that when he remembered that he hadn't gotten permission, even though he'd asked if he could at least do a little above the waist. Walker had chuckled quietly at him and patted his head. 

"Hey... there," Walker whispered, drawing Marsh out of his thoughts as he looked down. 

When he noticed Walker trying to hold back a smirk, he blinked, unsure of what was funny. He watched the man reach up with his hand and extend his pointer finger... then he poked the tip of Marsh's tongue that had evidently been sticking out just-barely past his lips. 

Was thinking of licking too much. 

He quickly pulled it back inside his mouth, feeling his face warm at the awkward slip. 

"Did you rest, too?" Walker asked, ignoring the odd moment since it seemed to bother Marsh. 

He is a little too nice. Wouldn't survive well in the wild on his own. Good thing I would never let him go out there on his own. 

"What are you thinking about with that look?" 

Marsh tilted his head, a bit surprised that Walker had leaned closer to his face, but he quickly remembered that humans didn't have very good eyesight at night. His own had definitely diminished in his bad eye, but his good one could still easily see the man's face in the darkness. 

"About how you are too nice and you would be eaten if you had encountered anything besides me out in the forest," Marsh said sincerely. 

"You weren't going to eat me if you had gotten the chance?" Walker asked, making Marsh lick his lips without thinking about it as he lifted a hand to Walker's shoulder and gently pushed him onto his back. 

"Back then? Absolutely, but now... a different kind of eat," he said, making Walker's eyes widen. 

When the man started trying to sit up, Marsh put his free hand on his other shoulder, easily holding him down. 

"Marshall," Walker said, his voice becoming stern. 

Marsh narrowed his eyes but bit back a growl. He did not want to intimidate, but when he did reply with "Walker," he matched the man's tone.