Bear 33

Hearing Heian's phone chiming with a familiar alarm, Ranger slowly sat up on the man's abdomen and fished the phone from his own back pocket. It had been sitting on top of the stack of clothing Heian had left, so he'd brought it with him. 

Glad I did. 

Heian was still a little out of it as he tried to catch his breath in the grass, but he came around quickly as the alarm reverberated around them in the darkness. After only a few moments the guy sat up, making Ranger slide down a little until he was sitting in his naked lap. 

"Thank you," he rasped as he took his phone and scanned his fingerprint to turn on the screen. 

Ranger didn't bother trying to look, as it wasn't really necessary. He knew what the alarm was for and it was just rude to look at someone else's phone in most situations. 

"Nia looks startled by something," Heian said as he turned the screen to face him. 

Oh, she really does look stressed out. 

"Let's go," Ranger said as he hurried to his feet, then offered Heian a hand up. 

As soon as he was standing, Heian shifted back to his animal form and hurried to the nearest tree so that Ranger could climb it and hop onto his back. 

"All set, let's ride!" 

The horse beneath him snorted and reared up a little, but Ranger had been ready and wrapped his arms around its neck just in time. They ran at a full gallop, jumping several fences before finally arriving in the field by Heian's house. 

Ranger slid off as the horse slowed down, stumbling a bit but managing to stay upright before he ran toward where Nia's large horse danced about on the front porch. 

She hadn't shifted... maybe something is wrong with the herd? 

Heian's own horse ran right up onto the porch before he shifted and yanked on a pair of shorts he left there for such a purpose. As soon as they were mostly on his hips he ran forward and gently grasped his daughter's snout. 

"What's wrong, Nia?" 

His daughter didn't hesitate to jerk her head backward with a loud whinny, then abruptly dart past her father and off the porch. Ranger had to quickly duck to the side to avoid being hit, but he didn't mind. A spooked horse was not something to get in front of. Shifter or not. 

They both hurried after her, but to their surprise, she wasn't running toward the pasture like they'd thought she would. Instead, she took an immediately turn and headed toward the road that lead out of Heian's property. 

Ranger's lungs were burning badly by the time they managed to catch up to Nia's horse. She was dancing around something in the tall grass off to the side of the road, and while he needed to stop and focus on catching his breath, he watched Heian cautiously walk closer. 

He soon realized that he didn't need to move forward to know that something was wrong. He could feel Heian's emotions begin to shiver and fracture through their bond. 

Heian? 

Taking a few more desperately needed breaths, Ranger finally straightened and walked forward as Heian knelt down and began carefully brushing the tall grass aside so that he could get something large into his arms. 

Is that...? 

He was going to move closer, but he felt his cat suddenly claw its way to the front of his mind, nearly taking over before Ranger could even sense its presence! While he really didn't want to, he had to retreat back a good distance. Whatever Heian was working on picking up smelled like a prey animal, and his cat was conflicted about whether it was friend or food. It wanted to kill it for its mate and provide food, but it also wasn't sure if its mate would be comfortable eating something he was clearly trying to help.