Bear 35

The meeting went a little better than either of them thought it would. Ranger kept quiet, eventually taking Toshi from Heian so that he could focus more on the discussion with the two officers that had come. While they spoke at the dinner table, Ranger followed the kids around the house. 

It seemed like Nia was giving Toshi a tour of each area. It was honestly adorable and insightful, because when most people show someone else their house, they focus on the large areas in the room or the furniture, but Nia was gently tugging Toshi around to odd little areas with one hand in his and the other holding herself up surprisingly well with her little walker. 

She showed him a small corner in the living room where the light came in from the blinds just enough to allow you to see little bits of dust dancing in the air. It was also a little warmer since the sun shone there. 

When they moved on to the kitchen she ignored the obvious basic things like the fridge and oven and instead went over to the stool her father always left in the corner for when she wanted to have him pull it out so she could help him cook. 

Toshi nodded every once in a while, making Ranger a bit nervous. It was almost as if they had a bond and could communicate through their thoughts. 

He brushed aside the unlikely connection and continued following them closely. Thankfully, he was completely focused on them, because Nia tripped over by the stairs but Ranger was able to easily catch her before she hit the floor. He then helped her straighten back up. 

Honestly, he wanted to tell her that she needed to hold onto her walker with both hands and that he could lead Toshi, but the words got stuck on his tongue. 

She's having too much fun, and what's one little fall? She's the matriarch of an entire herd, she'll laugh it off, I'm sure. 

Not that he would intentionally let her fall, but he didn't feel like the reprimand to hold her walker better was worth possibly ruining the moment. 

"Up?" 

Blinking, Ranger looked down toward Toshi, surprised to hear his quiet, hesitant voice. 

"Oh, sure," he said as he gently helped Nia into his arms so that he could carry her up the stairs. 

Once at the top he set her down, then hurried back down the steps to take Toshi's hand and grab Nia's walker with his other. He then guided the little boy upstairs. 

He set the walker down and helped Nia get settled with it once there, then quickly fixed the little blanket wrapped around Toshi's waist before continuing to follow them around. They went to her room first, and she proudly let him hold all of her little horse dolls, as well as a few of her GI Joe ones before showing him to the bathroom. He seemed fixated on returning to the toys, but as soon as he realized that they were in the bathroom he ran inside.

He quickly found the toilet after only a brief search with his hands. Ranger shut the door most of the way so that Nia couldn't see, then waited until he heard the water at the sink turning on. There was a tiny step stool partially beneath the cabinet that let Toshi easily reach the handles to wash his hands. 

Glad he has good hygiene, too.

"Good job, Toshi," he said as the little boy carefully felt around the stool with one foot, then stepped down before reaching forward. 

Ranger took his proffered hand with a smile, then turned as he heard Nia begin to walk away. 

I've never seen her so active. 

They stopped at her father's room next, but when she went over to the bathroom area, she stopped at the threshold and looked toward Toshi. 

"Why?" the little boy asked out loud, clearly answering a question that Ranger couldn't hear.