Chapter 3

The train finally arrived and everyone started getting off. Ivy asked her friends to go ahead and that she would join them in the Great Hall. They agreed and walked off the train.

She loved her friends but she couldn't possibly be around people for such a long time. She needed some time alone to 'recharge' as she called it, and what better than slowly walking to the beautiful castle she thought. As she proceeded to take in the huge castle, she noticed none other than The-Boy-Who-Lived with his friends. She did not feel like having company around and so chose to fight off the urge to greet the boy.

The air was fresh, Ivy felt as if she could breathe. 3 years inside closed castle doors, not the best feeling. When she was younger, she could not wait to be a princess, but now she just wanted to be a child. Soon she would have to take over the title of Princess since her older brother -the rightful heir- gave up his title.

She finally wandered off to the Black Lake, where she found a brown-haired girl already there. She thought it would be best if she left, as the girl seemed to want to be left alone. But while retreating, she snapped a twig and the brown-haired girl's head shot up.

Ivy gave her an apologetic smile and explained, "I am so sorry. I, uh, just, uh, came here and saw you and thought I should leave a-and then a twig, w-which just came out of nowhere, just snapped. I am sorry, I'll leave now." The brown-haired girl just giggled at Ivy's gawkiness.

"It is completely alright; besides I was just leaving. And yes, twigs do seem to appear when you do not want them to", the girl said politely.

Ivy giggled and introduced herself pulling her hand out which the girl shook and introduced herself. "Nice to meet you Ivy. I am Jade Williams".

Before Ivy could say anything, a bell rang and both of them knew they needed to head to the Great Hall. Jade immediately hurried to the Great Hall, and Ivy followed slowly.

Ivy came to the Great Hall and joined her friends at their Hufflepuff table. Archie, who was a Ravenclaw also joined them soon after. He sat down next to Ivy while Imran and Ophelia sat opposite them.

The sorting ceremony started and there were loud claps as the first years were sorted into their respective houses. Soon, it came to an end and Headmaster McGonagall started her speech. She congratulated the first years and welcomed everyone. Then, she proceeded to explain how last year's seventh years had been asked to come back and how they would have classes with this year's seventh years.

Finally, she ended her speech, but before starting the feast she said, "I would just like to ask the seventh and eighth years to wait back after the feast. Thank you, that is all. You may begin." She waved her wand and delicious food appeared in front of them.

Everyone gave each other confused looks but chose to focus on the appetizing feast in front of them. Everyone seemed happy but there was a lingering feeling of loss, grief, pain, and how couldn't there be? So many had lost so much in the war.

Ivy knew she could not relate with them, but she wanted to do as much as she can to make them feel at least a tad bit better. As she was listening to Imran and Archie argue over quidditch, her gaze fell towards the Slytherin table.

She could feel everyone glare at the Slytherins, as some of their families were death eaters, but they were putting on a strong face and kept their chins up. Ivy always admired that about Slytherins. No matter how much they were talked bad about, complained about, and always made to feel evil, they always help up their heads.

As she was deep in thought, her gaze fell on the platinum-blonde haired boy. Her brown eyes met his grey ones but they soon broke their contact. Curiously, she took a quick peek at him again. Draco Malfoy. She had never dared to come in contact with the boy, and she was going to make sure, that stayed the same way.

She looked away and wondered why the boy who could never keep his opinions to himself, was silent. The face which had that smug smirk was now, so lifeless. She shook that thought and focused on her conversation with her friends, who were still arguing about quidditch.

--

As dinner came to an end, Ivy was listening to Ophelia talking about her and Imran. The girls were giggling quietly, and that seemed to catch the boys' attention. "Okay, what are we laughing at?" Imran questioned, as he put his palms on his cheeks and elbows on the table and grew closer to the girls.

They giggled and Ophelia replied, "Oh, nothing, just how you boys are so juvenile". Taking that statement as an insult, Imran started tickling his girlfriend as she begged him to let her go.

Soon, everyone except the seventh and eighth years left the Great Hall and it was only them and teachers remaining. As the headmaster got up the faint chattering stopped, which made the Hall go into a state of complete silence. McGonagall started, "Now, as all of us know there was a massive decrease in the population of magical blood due to the war"

 A considerable amount of people looked towards the Slytherin table, which made a few Slytherins shift uncomfortably in their seats. McGonagall cleared her throat, which made everyone pay attention to her again and then she carried on with her speech.

"As I was saying, due to the loss of so much of the population, the ministry has decided to enforce a law. It is called 'the marriage law'. It states that every person from the age of 17 to the age of 25 will have to wed latest by end of next year and will have to have children in the next five years".