Chapter 18

It had been a few days since Ivy had received the letter from her grandmother. Both of them were equally nervous and were dealing with it by not mentioning it.

The seasons were changing. The snow had started to set in. It was going to be Christmas soon and Ivy and Draco were nervous about that too since their families were going to meet each other at the annual Malfoy Christmas ball.

Both of them were trying their best to turn their attention towards something else since both of them were still uncomfortable talking about it. No one other than Blaise and Jade knew about them meeting each other's parents.

--

Ivy, Draco, Jade and Blaise were in the common room talking after dinner. Usually, the four of them were the only ones left after dinner. The rest of the six would always be tired or would want to spend some alone time. Everyone knew what 'alone time' meant but nobody objected. They couldn't.

So, instead, the four of them would talk in the common room and sometimes have some firewhiskey to drink. That is why, they had gotten closer and had come to know about 'the thing'- as Ivy and Draco called it.

This evening was one of the times when they did have firewhiskey.

"...And then, he dared to ask me what it was called. I mean, can you believe the absolute nerve of that twat" Blaise said taking a swig from the bottle of firewhiskey that was being passed around in the four of them.

Blaise was about to pass the bottle to Ivy when Draco intervened and snatched the bottle out of Blaise's hands.

"Oh, come on, Malfoy, you couldn't wait for a minute?" Ivy complained as Draco also took a sip from the bottle.

"You still call each other by your last names?" Jade asked as she laid on the sofa on her stomach. Ivy was sitting cross-legged on the floor with Blaise sitting opposite to her and Draco on the chair beside Blaise.

"Yeah, why?" Ivy pouted as she turned her head to face Jade.

"No reason, except, I don't know, you have to marry each other and soon you will be a Malfoy too. Or maybe, hmm, the fact that you are going to meet each other's family." Jade said as she sat up straight. Draco and Ivy shifted in their seats and glanced at each other, awkwardly.

"Merlin, you still haven't talked about it, have you?" Blaise chuckled. And Ivy and Draco exchanged awkward glances, yet again. "Children, you know you cannot escape from this, right? Stop living in denial, it doesn't get you anywhere" Blaise commented, still chuckling.

"Blaise is right. You know, both of you are going through a tough time. So, instead of making things difficult for yourselves, why not talk to each other and lighten the weight on your shoulders. Marriage is about supporting each other, especially in such, difficult times." Jade added.

Ivy and Draco looked at each other again, but this time, with a not-so-awkward look on their faces. They knew what they had to do.

After a moment of silence, Ivy snatched the bottle of firewhiskey from Draco and took a sip and laughed. "I never knew you were so, enlightening. Guess we should come to you for advice more often" "Yeah, but get them drunk first" Draco smirked and everyone laughed at the comment. 

Soon, the talk was over and it was time to go to their rooms. They said their goodbyes and good nights and went off.

--

"They were right, you know. We should talk about it." Ivy said as she came out of the bathroom after changing her clothes. And Draco nodded. Both of them got comfortable on the couch.

None of them spoke first. The sound of the fire crackling in the fireplace was the only sound audible. But Ivy broke the silence by asking Draco, "so, how do feel about it? You know, meeting my family."

"I don't know. Should I be scared?"

"Not of the men in the family. My grandfather and I are exactly alike, so no worries there. My father is quite understanding, and he is sure to love you if you prove to him, you are a good person, which I know you are. And Luke, he may act all tough but I am sure he will like you. After all, you two are very similar"

Draco gave out a sigh of relief after hearing this.

"But my grandmother and mum are said to be intimidating." This sentence made Draco's expression a bit nervous.

Ivy realised this and immediately came to his aid. "Impressing my mother is tough, but not impossible. And since your mother was friends with her, she may have a liking towards you after all. My grandmother is impressed only by absolutely nothing, but let's only focus on the positives for now. We have plenty to worry about."

Draco gave out an exhausted, yet anxious exhale. Ivy placed her hand on his shoulder gently and attempted to comfort him. "Hey, it's going to be okay. I mean it's not like they are going to kill you. The worst that can happen is they may not find you flattering."

"Wow, thank you, that was very helpful," Draco said in a sarcastic tone.

"Relax Malfoy, you are going to be fine. Besides, I will be right there, by your side." They looked at each other for a minute and yet again, snapped out of that moment. "Anyways, we should probably go to sleep."

"Yeah, yeah."

"Two days."

"Two days."

"Good night, Malfoy"

"Night, Rose"