Chapter 33: The Heated Courtroom

Two days had passed and now it's the day for the hearing of Maltiji's case. Anirudh seemed very restless since morning, might be because of nervousness and Bondita noticed it. Anirudh was preparing to go for court when Bondita entered the study with a bowl in hand.

"Tayiar ho gaye aap?" She uttered while taking her steps forward. "Hmmmm" nodded Anirudh while trying to find a pen from the drawer.

"Rukiye main deti hu" Bondita went upto the small showcase of the study and brought two pens from there and handed over Anirudh. "Thank You Bondita. Abhi mujhe nikalna chahiye" blabbered Anirudh without looking at her and hurried to go.

"Rukiye Patibabu...dahi chini to khake jayiye" called Bondita.

"Dahi chini?" turned Anirudh scratching his head in confusion. Bondita smiled and put the spoon full of curd in his mouth out of a sudden. Anirudh became surprised at her sudden action and looked at her blankly.

"Dugga Maa ke ashirvad se aap yeh case jarur jite. Meri prathnaye aur subhkamna donohi apke sath hai" wished Bondita and Anirudh smiled. While going to court he took blessings from Kaka, Binoy and also from Dugga Maa.

On reaching the court, Anirudh came to meet Maltiji at the entrance. She was standing on the stairs along with a lady at her late sixties and a man of Som's age might be. Anirudh assumed the lady and the man as her mother and brother. Her face had already turned white and she was rubbing her palms constantly looking down with wrinkled brows.

Seeing Anirudh, she came running along with those two people and asked with a broken voice, "Barristerbabu, hum yeh case jitenge nah?"

"Main pura jaan laga dunga yeh case jitne ke liye...." Anirudh assured her. They entered the court and while going inside, Maltiji introduced him with her mother and brother. Maltiji's mother seemed very sick, might be she had some breathing problem and Anirudh noticed she was taking long breathes in each ten minutes. She was in a old cotton saree. The brother looked strong but the attire on him was worn out and dirty. It was obvious that they were very poor and Suryakanta Sen had taken this poverty as his advantage.

They sat on their respective seats. Maltiji's mother and brother sat in the public seating area while Maltiji sat along with Anirudh inside the well of the court. Suryakanta Sen had not come yet but his lawyer was present there. He shook hands with Anirudh and said, "bohot bada khatra modh lene jah rahe hai aap Barrister Anirudh Roy Chawdhury." Anirudh just smiled and again got seated in his place. Maltiji was constantly looking first at her mother and brother and then towards Anirudh. Seeing this happening again and again Anirudh couldn't resist himself from asking.

"Kuch kehna chahte hai aap?"

"Na...nahi..." stammered Maltiji and looked down immediately.

Maltiji's POV
I was sitting along with Barristerbabu and my mother and brother were sitting at a distance. But still I was feeling very alone. I didn't know what wrong was happening with me, but I couldn't breathe that time. I felt as if my whole body was becoming senseless and the blood had stopped flowing. The sensation of fear rushing through out my body was thousand times more than the time when Bade Sahb's men caught me and beat me brutally and to my surprise that fear was more than the fear which I felt when Sen family snatched my child and threw me away from the house. Might be that time my heart was filled with hope and faith that I would get my child back. But now when I finally had come to fight for my right and child, an unknown fear had crept into my heart. If Bade Sahb didn't let the truth to come! If somehow Barristerbabu or I made a mistake! If my mouth got shut when the other Barrister would ask me a question! What would happen happen if we couldn't win the case? No Dugga Maa, no! I couldn't lose my child! He is my life, he is my everything. I couldn't lose him, I couldn't!