Chapter 38: In Search of The Witness

Time was passing but those two were not ready to leave eachother. The door was opened and Batuk was passing to bring water. Suddenly his eyes fell on the most unexpected things aside and he got his first shot of shock of the night.

"Ootteerrii!!!!..." the only word came out of his opened mouth and eyes turned round as the full moon at night.

Hearing that sudden "Ootteerrii!!!!..." in the mid of pin drop silence those two got separated with a jerk and looked back. There's standing no one but one's best friend and other's *Doost Bhai*

"Batukkkkk...." they both exclaimed.

Batuk was in so tremor of shock that he couldn't answer.

"Tu...tum..inha itne raat mein kya kar rahe ho Batuk?" fumbled Anirudh.

Batuk now had almost gotten over his state. He exclaimed, "yeh to mujhe puchna chahiye. Madhya ratri mein kya yeh HAGU HAGU chal raha hai?" He winked and Bondita rolled her eyes.

But Anirudh became nervous. "Yeh hagu hagu kya hota hai?" He blubbered while blinking his eyes.

"Vohi jo aap dono kar rahe the" said Batuk wisely. But as soon as that line left his lips, a "ZOR KA GANTTA" came down on his head back.

"Aah...mara kyu?" Cried Batuk looking back on Bondita.

"Zyada chapar chapar maat kar aur sone jah" slammed Bondita.

"Haan haan jata hu...huuh!" and he made a face. Bondita too reciprocated it showing her tongue.

"Patibabu aap bhi soh jayiye. Raat bohot ho chuki hai. Subha nikalna bhi hai."

"Haan jata hu. Bass ek kaam karlu."

Anirudh left the room and returned after sometime along with Koyli.

"Kya hua Patibabu? Koyli Didi ko itni raat mein kyu leke aye? Bichari soh rahi thi..."

"Koyli kuch din tumhare sath soyegi" answered Anirudh making everyone confused.

"Par kyu?" asked Bondita.

"Taki firse tum meri jaan leneki kosis na karo. Ishiliye jabtak pure situation ko main sambhal nahi leta raat ko Koyli tumhare sath hi rahegi" said Anirudh firmly.

Though Bondita tried her best to make him believe that she can take care of herself all alone, but who could move Barrister Anirudh Roy Chawdhury from his decision? So Bondita had to agree unwillingly and so did Koyli.

...........

Next day Anirudh started his journey soon after a cup of tea. Almost spending three hours in train finally he reached Banagram. Giridhari's son Bhonda had come to give him accompany.

Bhonda was a twenty years old boy, dark brown colour, height 5'8", thin and with no work. Spending his all day playing cards, catching fish, stealing fruits , running after butterflies were his only work. But like his name, he was a goofy actually. He just blindly believed in other's words without any quest. Off white dhoti with faded kurta and a gamcha (typical Bengali towel) around his neck clarify his typical village boy look.

Seeing Anirudh coming down of the train, Bhonda gave a toothy smile and said joining hands, "Namaste Kaka! kaise hai aap?"

Anirudh almost got a heart attack hearing "KAKA" from a twenty years old boy and his bag fell down from his hand.

Giridhari, by relation was like Anirudh's brother, so he was the uncle of Bhonda. As Anirudh had never in touch with them, so he didn't have much idea about this net of relations.

"Kaka?" uttered Anirudh enlarging his eyes. But Bhonda gave the same subtle smile and said, "Haan. Kaka hi to hai aap mere", as if Anirudh's shocked visage never caught his concern.