Chapter 40: Aanth, Par Kiska? I

The telephone was ringing in the hall for quite a long time, but no one was picking it up. Suryakanta Sen who was counting the beads of sacred thread in mandir became disturbed.

He wrinkled his eyebrows and shouted without opening eyes, " behre ho gaye ho kya sare? Kab se telephone baja jah raha hai, koi uthata kyu nahi?"

But no voice came from any of the corners. "Abhi hi samay mila ish manhus ko phone karneka! ", muttering with irritation he got up from his position and took his steps to pick up the phone.

"Areh kiska dost maar gaya hai jo aise pagalo ke tarah telephone ki ghanti baja rahe ho" Suryakanta said with a rebuke when a whisper came, " dost nahi bade sahb, boliye dushman maar gaya hai ; vo bhi kisi aur ke nahi balki apke..."

Suryakanta Sen became shock hearing this message at such an odd hour. He moved the phone and looked at it awkwardly for once, then again put on his ears.

"Dabbu?", uttered he with a suspicious tone. "Ha bade sahb, main Dabbu hi bol raha hu aur apke liye ek khushkhabri hai...", the man from the other side of the phone spoke with an excited voice.

"Kaisi khushkhabri? Aur kon dushman maar gaya mera?", asked Sen Sahb with a serious tone.

"Apke gale ka kanta sahb, Anirudh, Anirudh Roy Chawdhury.....maar gaya vo kamina!"

"Kyaaa? Kab, kaise, kaha?" Suryakanta's eyes grew bigger in sudden thriller.

"Apke adesh anusar bandhe rakhe the ush doctor aur uske parivar ko. Par vo Barrister....thuu.... inha bhi pohoch gaya unn doctor o ko bachane", told Dabbu pressing his teeth, "Hero banne chala tha bohot. Dhamkio aur lath se jab nahi sudhra to pankh kaat diye uss azad parinde ka. Aab jake ude upar, vagban ke pass. Dugga Dugga.... hahahaha...." and he started laughing.

Suryakanta was shocked first hearing the whole story. He remained quiet for a moment and then burst out in laughing revealing his disgusting teeth.

"Maar gaya, maar gaya, maar gaya vo Anirudh ! Aab kon Malti aur kya hi uska case..... hahaha...."

And he started dancing on one hand holding the telephone and with the other making the movements of dhunuchi dance.

"Dugga Dugga Dugga, tor opar mohima..."

Hearing the sudden noise from hall in this afternoon the whole Sen family gathered with all their servents and workers. They had never seen Suryakanta to be so happy in these past few months. But that day his whole behaviour was out of their knowledge and they were looking at each other blankly.

At last Suryakanta's mother stopped him and asked with a happy tone, " kya hua beta? Aaj itna khush? Humein bhi to batao, hum bhi thoda khushiyan mana le."

"Areh Maa Maa Maa....vo barrister, Anirudh. Vo Barrister Anirudh Roy Chawdhury ko maar diya humare admiyo ne, maar gaya humari zindagi ki musibat Maa!" and he laughed loudly.

Suryakanta's mother's face lit up and she too joined her son in laughing. But Suryakanta's wife, Bonani Devi, who was hearing all their talks from a distance grabbed her saree in fear and looked down in tension. When the whole Sen house was cheering for their victory, it seemed as if Bonani Devi was the only person who wasn't happy with the news. The corners of her eyes were gleaming with the moisture as if she was forcefully trying to suppress her tears from coming out.

At that moment, some sounds from the phone came. Suryakanta Sen almost forget that he was in a phone and hadn't cut it yet. He immediately put it on ears and told with happiness, " haan bol Dabbu, mithai vejdu yah inha akehi khayega?"

"Mithai ke chinta baad mein kariyega bade sahb, pehle thikana kaha lagana hai yeh boliye."

"Matlab?" Suryakanta's voice became serious.