42

"do we have to go home already?" Chaeyoung asks since most of the people are already heading out. I look down at my wrist watch and it's around 8pm already. The second half of the court trial was quite long so we are not expecting to be here at this time. But since they gave their last statement and Kang tried to come up with something to throw at Jennie's side, it's up to the judge now.

"The verdict might take longer, if the judge will notify the lawyers about a longer time for the verdict we can all head home and just wait for it." Jisoo's attorney says. Jennie and her attorney gathered up their stuff from their table and walk towards us while I look on the other side to see Kang and his attorney heading the other way.

"Will the judge give his verdict today?" Irene ask when they approached us

"He said it'll take time but we can expect it in a couple of hours" Jennie's attorney answered

"There's no exact time?" Eunwoo ask making Jennie's attorney shake her head in return

"You guys can go home" Jennie stated so we won't have to wait for a long time

"Do you really think I'll go home?" I said making Jennie smile

"Did I ask you to go home? I was talking to them. You stay with me whether you like it or not" she said playfully making me chuckle

"Are you asking us to leave you?" Jackson says dramatically as he stomp his foot like a little kid

"Alright.. just stay" Jennie says so Jackson can just drop it. We all head outside of the courtroom. Jennie walk closer to me so she can cling her arm on mine. She slide one of her hand down to hold my hand while everyone else is busy talking to one another.

"Are you hungry?" I ask, we haven't eaten yet since the court trial was too long

"I'm too nervous to eat.. I feel like I'll end up vomiting everything" she said which is understandable

"Let's eat when the verdict is out" I said

"What if the verdict isn't on my side?" She ask

"We still have to eat"

"Are you really asking that? You're a doctor, you know?" Irene says cutting off our conversation. When we made it out of the courtroom we saw Jennie's mom exiting on the other door. Her eyes landed in our direction so I bow my head down to greet her properly. Jennie's mom isn't really the nicest person to me but she's still Jennie's mom so I need to show some respect.. especially when she just saved Jennie in there. She bow down as well to greet us back and she's divert her eyes towards Jennie and nod at her direction like she's saying that everything will be fine. We're quite far from each other so she didn't really talk to us verbally. I know that they're not really in good terms but I saw how Jennie bow her head a little longer to greet her mom and probably a way of thanking her too before she head out of the courthouse.

We basically just stayed at the lobby since there are a couple of couch and chairs here. I keep looking around and I can sense that everyone is already tired but I haven't heard anyone complain. Since we waited for a couple of hours, some of them went out to grab some food and brought back some for us who stayed inside. Before midnight Jennie's attorney received a text that we can all head back inside for the verdict.

" The petitioner filed a couple of cases for this trial such as Marriage Dissolution or Divorce, Child Custody, and Protection Orders Against Domestic Violence. Based on the testimony and witnesses, the Petitioner has been in an abusive relationship with the respondent. I have gathered evidences such as the video clip presented by one of the witness. We reviewed it multiple times just to make sure that the petitioner was the one in the video and it didn't contravene any law. We also got the testimony of the respondent's former partner. She stated that she received the same treatment as the petitioner when it comes to their own relationship. During the trial the respondent's side presented good arguments whereas it made the deliberation harder than it already is." The judge stated which basically sums up everything that happened for the past two trials.

"Can they just give the verdict?" Irene says in a low tone but we heard it clearly. They're just making us all nervous right now.

"We also considered another statement from our witness about the child's safety. As I quote 'If hurting the petitioner is something the respondent is capable of, it is not as impossible to do the same towards the child'. We also got the child's own decision as well as the biological grand mother." He paused a bit as he flip the paper to read the remaining part

"This anticipation will make me pee on my pants" Jackson says but we're all too focused to even laugh at his antics

"I hereby declare the respondent guilty for Domestic Abuse, As stated in the Business and Professions Code Section 2236 states that the conviction of any offense substantially related to the qualifications, function or duties of a physician constitutes unprofessional conduct which can be cause for disciplinary action. "

"Disciplinary action?" I said louder than I should. The judge didn't hear it but Jisoo's attorney did.

"It is whether the behavior for which the accused was arrested for significantly relates to their duties and qualifications as a medical doctor." Jisoo's attorney said "the medical board will most probably put him on disciplinary actions rather than letting him lose his medical license" this is just straight up injustice.. like who the fuck will let an abuser work in that profession? Just because it doesn't affect his capability as a doctor they are still willing to just give him a disciplinary action?

"Shouldn't he be in jail after this trial?" I said

" The court will also give the petitioner her request for the Protection Orders Against Domestic Violence" the judge continues

"That's good" Jisoo's attorney says which makes us all look at her

"Kang can't go near Jennie. She can also prohibit him if he wanted to see Ella if the court will give her the custody"

"What happens if Kang disobeyed the protection order?" Seulgi asks

"He can be arrested" she answered

"Finally, for the child custody.." the judge says which immediately catches everyone's attention "both the petitioner and respondent have proven to be capable of raising the child decently and give her a proper education, shelter, etc. As we take the respondent's arguments in consideration, the statement of the child's biological grandmother is more concrete and credible. Therefore, the court will keep the custody on the petitioner's hands." And by that, Jennie look down and burry her face on the palm of her hands as she started crying. She just won 2 of the cases she fought for and 1 protection order so Kang will never go near her again

"Both sides of the petitioner and respondent may appeal anything before the final decree of divorce is submitted to the judge" the clerk of the court says

"That means they're finalizing the divorce right?" Jisoo ask which makes her attorney nod

"Though Kang's side can still appeal the decision to the next higher level of the court. But yeah, everything is basically on Jennie's side right now. She won the court trial... she finally got her freedom back" I look up and saw Jennie looking at me already. Despite the tears streaming down her face she gave me one of the most genuine happy smile that I haven't seen in a long long time.