Chapter 3: Cheerleader Blues

"Let's go girls, come on. Come on!"

I sighed, walking into studio A for the fifth time in a row. I had just gotten done with my tap class, and hadn't gotten a chance to catch my breath.

We all sat down, a microsecond of peace before Abby yelled again. "Vivi-Anne, where's your dance clothes?" She yelled, causing Vivi to shrug.

"It's in the car," Vivi Anne muttered, sounding unsure of herself.  "You need to be dressed and ready to dance when you walk into this building," Abby lectured, pointing her finger right at her

"Yes?" Abby asked, Vivi Anne nodding in response. "I want to recap a little bit about the competition. Now there are some things that went on that maybe you don't even know about."

Abby pointed at Nia. "Your mom was upset about the costumes," she spoke to Chloe. "Your mom was upset about the costume before you went on stage. But that cannot happen again."

I glanced over to the side where our moms stood just in time to catch Christi and Holly sharing a look. They are so gonna do it again, Holly and Christi weren't the type to back down when they are being mistreated. I returned my focus to Abby, wanting to know what she thought about our competition last week.

"So, we're going to talk about the competition this week. We're going to New Jersey, and we are going to do an acrobatic gymnastic routine." We all watched as Abby struggled for a few moments to turn the blackboard around.

"Overall, I evaluated all of your performances. Kianna, you won that competition and the title, so I'm gonna leave you right where you are. Yes?" I nodded, but I could see Melissa's face sour out the corner of my eye.

Did she really expect Maddie to be on the top when she had been beaten by both me and Chloe? "Brooke, I expect you to help the younger students. I expect you to know the choreography first and be able to help everybody else." 

"I was really surprised to see that I had been moved down to the second row." Maddie says, gnawing on her lip for a second. "I did really well at the competition, so I thought that even though I didn't win the title, I would be on top as well."

Abby trailed down the blackboard until she reached the bottom row. "All right, Nia, Paige, you'll be doing the tumbling part and the acro part. Vivi Anne, because you're new here and don't know all our terminology, I'm gonna work privately with you this week, so you're gonna do a solo at the competition this weekend. Maddie and Chloe, you will be doing a duet at the competition, and..." 

Abby looked around the room, her eyes landing on Paige and Brooke. "Kianna, Brooke and Paige, you will be doing a trio at the competition. Alright girls, let's go. Get up, get ready to rehearse. Moms, thank you very much. Vivi, don't forget. You need to be in dance clothes whenever you walk into this room ready to go." Vivi Anne nodded. "Alright." We all stood up, getting into position to stretch.

🩰

"I need to know what it's going to take to get my daughter moved up on the pyramid," Kelly whined. "Why is Kianna on top?"  Chelsea rolled her eyes, has Kelly already forgotten what had happened at the competition last weekend?