Chapter 5: When Stars Collide

"How was the competition?" My dad asked as I hugged him. My mom was taking off her shoes at the door, Cameron pushing past her to come inside. "I won first, and got a special judges award." I moved from my dad over to Cameron, his arms enveloping me in a warm embrace.

"Christi and Melissa got into a fight." My mouth was right next to his ear, causing him to jolt back a little at that volume of my voice. "She said that the reason Maddie won is because Maddie had two solos while everyone else had one."

"Ahh," Cameron vocalized as we pulled away from our embrace. "But did Chloe place second or third to Maddie's solos?" My dad asked, leaning forward to get his cup of coffee from the table. Me and Cameron went to the stairs, walking up them and past Giuliana's room.

"No, she placed fourth to a girl from the Babylon School of Dance," I replied, having to yell a little so he could hear me. I was thinking about my own solo, mom had sent me the video of my dance, and I couldn't wait to show Cameron.

As we walked past, Giuliana door was open, the sound of music coming through the small gap. I could see her doing some turns, she was most likely practicing a solo that she had learned about two months ago.

She was a part of Abby's hot shot dance team. They had a minimum of two weekly rehearsals and any other classes were available for them. The season had already started five weeks ago, but they were getting ready to compete at their first competition this year.

Giuliana had already danced on this team the year before, but they only attended 7 competitions. Mom didn't want to put her in my competition team because she wants her to make friends with kids her age, and gain experience with competing at her age level, rather than be giving choreography meant for 8 and 9 year olds.

It wasn't that she could perform the choreography, but more like mom wanted her to absolutely master everything she could for her age level. She didn't want to ever have to question how appropriate a number was for either of us.

We entered my room, the soft pink and blue walls welcoming us inside. My dresser was against the wall next to the door, my walk in closet opposite of it. A big mirror laid next to the dresser, specifically placed so that I could observe my entire body after I had finished with my hair.

My bed laid against the wall, the light purple sheets a bit messy. I had been in a rush to get to the bus early this morning, we didn't live far from the studio but my mom was known to be a bit slower in the morning so we were running behind the schedule.

Taking a seat on my bed, I pulled out my phone. Finding the video was easy, just a quick tap on the message app and I was already there. "My mom took a video of my solo." I said, patting the spot on the bed next to me. He hopped on, leaning a bit closer to get a better look at the screen.

I pressed play, the sound of my music playing through the phone. We both watched as I did beautiful turns and leaps, the fluidity and strength in my technique enhancing the movements. I was sassy and mature without my dance being like the electricity dance we did two weeks ago.

As the video came to the end, we both returned to our natural sitting positions. "You were great," He said, with an obvious grin on his face after watching me dance. "Such a shame that it wasn't a duet. I would have loved to fling you around like a sack of potatoes and have to make it sexy."

He was always like this, teasing and a bit ridiculous, but also sincere in his words. "I would have loved to add a cradle flip to the dance." We had just learned them in our shared private, but we hadn't had a duet where we could show it off.