Chapter 21: Abbygeddon

"Come on, ladies, let's go," Abby claps. Kianna was the first girl in the room, watching as  Abby tapped her feet. Abby waited for everybody to enter before she spoke.

"Girls, this is the big time. We are here in New York City, in the dance mecca of the world. Right here. And I want you to take it all in. Everybody you pass on that street probably took a dance lesson at some point in their life. Do you understand that? Yes, there's a lot of kids that win competitions, a lot of kids that get crowns on their heads, and there's a handful that make it in the industry. Remember that."

Kianna knew what Abby was saying to be true. With thousands of people trying to succeed and become famous, it was a very cut throat industry. She was lucky that people had taken an interest in her talents.

"I want to talk about Michigan first. We are not going to win a group dance until everybody in this group is at the same level," Abby took the time to look everyone in the eye, making some of the girls uncomfortable. It was like looking at Medusa, her mean glare almost petrifying them.

"When part of the choreography is supposed to be in unison, you all need to be in unison. That's what it means. It's not always about your solo parts, it's about that group, and you need to learn how to dance in a group. If you don't apply the corrections, you're not going to improve, and that's the issue. Now onto the pyramid."

She yanks the cover off to reveal Paige's headshot in the last place spot. Abby spoke again, her voice ringing loud and clear throughout the room. "On the bottom of the pyramid is Paige. Did you correct the arms? Yes. Did you put the phone away? No."

Kianna thought it was a bit silly; Paige had done fine in the dances she did but what got her the last place spot was her phone? Something that had no correlation to dance.

"She gets no credit for doing her back tuck or... it's her phone," Kelly cut in angrily. "Credit?" Abby asks before giving Paige a very condescending slow clap.

"Next is Mackenzie. You can improv if you're early on the music in a solo. But when you do it in a trio and don't tell the other two partners to do it ahead of time, you made them look like idiots 'cause you were out there, whoo, shaking it up. Understood?"

"Next, Chloe. Time to face the music. Forgot your routine. You're not seven anymore, you're ten years old. You can't make up your own thing and wait to get back on the music when 35 other dancers are doing the right thing. That's a pink slip. That's the unemployment line. Understood?"

"Next, Nia. You hurt your foot, you worked through it. It all worked out. However, it's the technique. And it's like we tell you over and over. It's up to you. Do you want to make it better? Do you wanna fix it? Then you will. Understood?"

"Next, we have Brooke. Brooke, you did what you needed to do, but you always just do what you needed to do. I want you to give me more. And next is Maddie. I challenge you to keep winning your solos because you pick up quickly."

"Second on the pyramid is Aili. You did so well with your solo that the scout personally asked if you would be interested in a scholarship. That's a big deal, and I'm very proud and happy that he could recognize your talent. And on top of the pyramid is Kianna, who did a once in a lifetime performance at the Kids Choice Awards. Congratulations, you were stellar on that stage."

"I wanna talk about what happened after the competition," Abby continued. "The scout from the Joffrey ballet school came to our dressing room. They choose the Abby Lee Dance Company. You're going to be going to the Joffrey School with some of the most prestigious instructors in all of New York. The judges that are judging you are three instructors at the Joffrey School."