Chapter 11: The Return of the Candy Apples

"Let's go! Come on, girls! Let's go, and bring Cameron with you!" Abby's voice booms from inside Studio A. I leaned forward, grabbing at the chair in front of me so I could bring my right led down from the wall split I was doing. Cameron was on my left, moving to hold my waist for stability. I wasn't sweaty anymore, but I was still tired.

We had just gotten out of an hour long acro class; Ms. Daina and Ms. Jasmine had been ruthless, insisting that we practice various different tricks that were above our skill level. It was weird, she reprimanded the two of us way more than the others when we had messed up, calling us sloppy and yelling at us that she expected us to try harder.

She's been doing this for two weeks, and it put a bit of a damper on my mood. Just because we are in an advanced class doesn't mean we can instantly learn difficult tricks.

I bit back a cough as I took a step forward, my right leg having that uncomfortable tingling feeling of blood rushing back into it. "Why would she want me?" He asked as we walked. I leaned on him a little, everytime my foot hit the ground it was like stepping on glass.

"Maybe we get to dance together again," I murmured as we came in behind Nia. Yesterday, Cameron had learned the start of a new duet, so I was hoping we would get to do it together.

We stepped through the door, walking toward the center of the room. "I want to start off by talking a little bit about the Dance Troupe competition in Greensboro, North Carolina. That was not the group on Lake Tahoe that just won a national championship," Abby started to talk as soon as everyone's eyes were on her.

"Obviously, cute still works in the Carolinas. Kendall, you did your solo scared to death. That face was not an Abby Lee Miller face, that's for certain." I looked over at the new girl, her face showing just a bit of emotion. It wasn't everyday that you reached one of your goals, only for your teacher to say something a little mean about how you did.

"Well, Abby, that was her first time out," Jill pointed out, which I could understand. Everyone could get nervous about going on stage.

Abby places a finger on her mouth in the shushing motion, "Uh, shh. We don't get to talk. It's my turn. This weekend, we are headed to Columbus, Ohio. You know who lives in Ohio." Chloe is the first one to answer, "Candy Apples!" Her excitement leaked into everyone else, everyone starting to cheer.  

"We are going there, and she will be at the competition. I don't want any squawking between the mothers. You are all on the same team, and we're all gonna take a bite out of that big apple," Abby orders, pulling the covering off of the headshot on the bottom of the pyramid.

"Alright, we're gonna start with the pyramid. On the bottom... Kendall. You are on probation. That means that I'm watching you like a hawk. Do you understand me? Mackenzie, I keep giving you little parts. Your dancing is not up to where the rest of the girls are. When Kianna was five and Maddie was seven, they could've done the choreography." 

That was a lie, I could not have done that choreography at five. She was just saying that to make Mackenzie feel bad about how she had done, but Kenzie had danced really well.

"Brooke, you knew the number, but the crying and the hysteria that's not a young adult. Paige, you did a nice job this weekend. Then, on the bus coming home, we told you to sit down thirty. Two. Times. I counted. That's thirty-one too many." Kelly gestures to the rest of the girls. "Every single one of them was playing on the bus."