Chapter 20: Waiting for Joffrey

"Come on, girls! Let's go!" Kianna and Cameron entered the studio to see Abby waving them in. "Join the party. So did everybody have a good time in Chicago?" Kianna did, but she knew that some of the other girls were upset with the results of the competition so she didn't mention it.

Abby claps before rubbing her hand together. "All right, now let's talk about our group dance. I thought it was beautiful. I thought the costume looked gorgeous on everybody. I gave everybody a challenge with acting. You all did it."

"Now, Maddie, you did a solo this week; I know that there were some boys you were worried about. I know you were worried about Kianna. But you beat those boys. You can't psych yourself out backstage, otherwise you'll never come out on top. Understood?"

"Yes," Maddie sighed, the truth that she didn't want to accept was that she'd never win first as long as she was competing with Kianna. She couldn't wait for next year, Kianna would be too old to compete against her anymore. Then she would win all the time, and be back in the light of Abby's praises.

"Kianna, you and Cameron were huge team players last week. Not only did you help choreograph your trio by yourselves, you didn't make a fuss when some mother's got into their heads and took away a day of rehearsal time. Huge kudos to you."

Kianna frowned at the reminder of last week's drama. Paige still hadn't texted or called, and it confused her because they had been getting along.

Abby moves on to Nia and says, "Nia, I watched the trio, and I watched you closely. I feel that you were a beat behind. It's the difficult technical things that you have trouble with. That's what you need to keep working on. Understood?" Nia nods. "Yes."

"We have a lot to do. I'm gonna get right to the pyramid. At the bottom of the pyramid... Chloe," Kianna blinks.

She didn't think Chloe deserved to be on the bottom; she was great in the trio. "You are one of the most advanced dancers sitting in this group, but I want more from you."

"You need a challenge; you need to work up to the next level. Remember, there is no I in team, but there is an 'm' and an 'e,' and it's all about me. Understood? All right, moving on. Nia. Nia, that trio, you wanted it, you got it. Like I said, you have the style and the sass, but the rest is a mess."

"Paige. You did a great job; you did your part. I want more. Your mother pulled you out of rehearsal for something so minuscule, that was time you could've spent enhancing your skills. You had a turn class after the trio practice, onstage I could see that you needed it; those turns were hot, as in a hot mess."

"Next, I have Mackenzie. Mackenzie, you continue to improve each week. Every week I come into the studio, you learn a new trick, but I don't want it all to be about your gymnastics. Got it?"

"And Brooke," Abby moves on. "I thought your part in the group dance was excellent. Just watch the chin; no more hickeys. Aili, third at competition, third on the pyramid. You let yourself fizzle out onstage, all that ballet training had made you forget how to have fun on the stage."

"Next, we have Maddie. I told you all I needed to tell you in the beginning; work on that confidence. And on top of the pyramid... Kianna. You won the overall high score; you beat Justice, you beat all the boys. You and Cameron have a great opportunity this week after the competition. Please, tell us about it."

"This Saturday, me and Cameron will be performing a duet at the Kids Choice Awards in LA." Kianna was shy about it, she hadn't told anyone besides Nia about her opportunity. Cameron had told her not to, they both had a feeling that not many of the girls would be happy about it.