Chapter 9: It All Ends Here

"Hello ladies, come on in," Abby waved to us as we walked into the room. I stood next to Giuliana in the middle of the studio, anxious about what Abby would say about the performances.

"Here we are in another studio, another week. We need to learn a new group routine. This is tough. We have to do it today, and there are props."

I wasn't so confident about that, the last time we had props in a routine Abby threw a fit because of Nia. I'm praying that this prop was small and light so we could focus more on the dancing.

"Now I want to reflect a little bit on the past two weeks. I keep telling you guys you have been given an amazing opportunity. You've been hand selected to go across the country and learn a new number each week and do these competitions. And most of you are not stepping up to the plate."

She was looking directly at Nia and Mackenzie, which I thought was a bit mean. The only reason they had lost was because me and Giuliana had gone against them in the duet/trio category.

"I want to see energy, enthusiasm, and fun. If you don't want to do it, there's probably a hundred other kids that would love to be in your shoes right now. So I need to see motivation. I want you to want to win. This is my reputation on the line; it's my name. But by now, it's also your names that are on the line," Abby turned around, facing the pyramid she had taped to the mirror.

"So, I'm gonna start now with Paige at the bottom. Moving on is Mackenzie, and right next to her is Nia. Next, we have Chloe, Brooke, and Maddie. And continuing her reign on top, we have Kianna. Kianna, you will be doing a solo and a duet with Cameron. Maddie, you're doing a solo and a duet with Chloe. Chloe, you will also be doing a solo," Abby spoke super quickly, not even waiting for us to process the information before she moved on.

"Giuliana and Mackenzie, you two are going to be doing a trio with Annalise; I'm sure you two know her from your jazz class. Paige and Brooke, I'm giving you a duet. I want you to work together as friends. I do not want you fighting as sisters. If you waste time and energy bickering back and forth, you're never gonna get it finished." I don't know why she was reprimanding them, Brooke and Paige never fought, especially at the studio.

"Everybody is in the group number this week, even Mackenzie. Every single one of you is an important part of this puzzle. And in a group routine, everybody needs to pull your weight. And I'm telling you what: We need to win."

I was excited, I was Mini Ms. Starbound for three years in a row; last year was my first time being crowned Junior Miss Starbound. I have to win this week to keep my crown. Plus, I would be dancing with Cameron this week, so I was extra stoked. "All right, let's get to rehearsing, let's get moving." Along with the rest of the girls, I picked up my duffel bag and carried them over to the side.

🩰

"You know, you'll eventually have to open the door," Cameron said from behind my bedroom door. I could hear the mischief in his voice. We were playing tag outside with Giuliana and his cousin James, which was going fine until he decided that whoever gets caught has to endure a minute of tickling.

And that wasn't the problem either, the real problem was that I had slipped and fell really hard when I had lost, and I knew that he would tease me for the rest of the day.

"No, I'm going to shrivel up and die and you'll never have to see me again," I yelled out from underneath my covers. I was being a little dramatic, sure, but Cameron was 100% going to torture me as soon as he even saw a glimpse of my hair. This was really about self preservation, at least until mom called us down for dinner. I would always eat my mom's cooking at the expense of being teased.