Chapter 8

"Okay guys, thank you for letting me play with you! I had a lot of fun and it was very nice talking to you. I'm going to have to leave now, my brother needs me. Bye!" I say before disconnecting.

I turn my PC off, hang my headphones up and rush through to Noah's room once again.

He was sitting in the corner of his bed, tears streaming down his cheeks, snot bubbling out of his nose and his wet hair sticking to his hot forehead.

"Oh Noah, what happened?" I said, flustered.

I lifted him out and hoisted him onto my hip, making sure to grab bunny. I carried him through to the kitchen and sat him on the counter.

He sniffles about a bad dream and a big man coming to get him as I got a new pack of tissues from the cupboard. I wiped his nose gently before getting another tissue and drying his cheeks. I threw the tissues in the bin and grabbed a plastic cup from the draining board.

I half filled it with milk and put it next to him on the counter. He was quiet now, beginning to calm down.

I cut up some strawberries and put them into a bowl. I put the cup in the middle of the bowl, making sure it didn't spill into the strawberries. I carried it in one hand while I held Noah's hand, leading him to the sofa.

I sat down cross legged in front of the coffee table and put Noah in my lap. I sang him some songs as he ate his strawberries and drank his milk.

He adjusted himself in my lap, his head leaning back against my shoulder and his hands in his lap, clutching bunny close to him.

I sang softly in his ear, stroking his hair.

Oh yeah, I'll tell you somethin'

I think you'll understand

When I say that somethin'

I want to hold your hand

It was Noah's favourite song. My mum and dad used to sing it to me when I was young and when Noah was born, me and my mum sat and sang it to him every night before he went to bed or when he was upset.

Oh please, say to me

You'll let me, be your man

And please, say to me

You'll let me hold your hand

I want to hold your hand

Noah found it hard not seeing mum everyday. So did I when I first moved out. He would cry all the time until I got tired and facetimed her. He wouldn't talk to any of the children at his new nursery and used to sit in the corner with bunny and a pile of cars.

And when I touch you

I feel happy inside

It's such a feelin' that my love

I can't hide

I can't hide

I can't hide

It was difficult at the start, waking up and knowing that I had Noah to look after instead of doing my own thing. I wouldn't change it for the world though. He felt comfortable around me and it felt good to know that I could be there for Noah even if I couldn't be there to support my mum in her treatment.