Chapter 15

Monday  31st October

I heard the shriek of the doorbell, just as I picked Noah up out of the cot after his afternoon nap. I huffed. Who could it possibly be? Finley had lectures all day so it wasn't him and I didn't know anyone else around.

I hoisted Noah onto my hip, still in his sleepsuit and gripping his bunny. His head rested on my shoulder as he sucked his thumb sleepily.

I fumbled with the lock before swinging it open. I was surprised to be faced with Wilbur.

"Hi, did I come at a bad time?" He said, scratching his neck.

I smiled. "Wilbur! Hi! Not a bad time at all. I'm about to get Noah changed and then we were going to bake some Halloween cookies. Come in!" I stepped to the side, letting Will pass me into the hallway.

I locked the door behind him and waited until he had finished taking his shoes off. I took Wilbur through to the kitchen, dining room and living room, telling him about how I intended to set up the pumpkin carving stream.

We stopped in the kitchen for a couple of minutes as I made Noah a cup of cold milk, raspberries and the rice cakes he loves so dearly.

"He's just woken up from a nap so he's not very awake at the moment." I said,

I left them on the coffee table and showed Will to Noah's bedroom.

"You have a nice place here." He said, sitting in the armchair whilst I changed Noah's nappy.

"Yeah, my mum bought it with some of the money my step-dad left. My mum gave me the rest to look after Noah and finish my degree." I said sadly, concentrating on Noah.

He was more awake now, watching Wilbur sitting in the chair. Once I had changed him into some clothes and put him on the floor, he crawled over to Wilbur and pulled himself up. Wilbur picked him up and placed him on his knee with a smile. Arlo strutted into the room and rubbed his head against my ankle. He was still tiny. The white patches on his face and back had somehow stayed clean and I was eternally thankful for that. I wouldn't like to bathe a cat with Noah around. Who knew what could go wrong.

I picked Arlo up and cuddled him close to my body, letting his soft fur rub my face. When my phone began to ring I just sat down on the floor and answered the phone, Arlo still close.

"Hey Finn!" I said cheerily.

"Hello Fae, are you streaming tonight? People are asking on twitter and I feel like as your number one fan, I should get the details before everyone else."

I laughed. "Yes Finn. I'm doing a pumpkin carving stream with Wilbur and Nikki, probably around 8pm."

He gasped loudly and let out a small squeal. "Wilbur and Nikki? Can I come over?"

"Finn, you have keys to my house, yes you can come over."

"You are an angel! I'm coming over like right now because Luke has cancelled his lecture. He said he had important business to take care of. Anyway, I'm going to Asda first to pick up the photos and the frames, is there anything you need?"

I looked around the room, trying to think of anything we might need in the coming days. "Hmm, can you get some more nappies and wipes?"

"Of course, is my little man there?"

I looked up to Noah and Wilbur who were cuddled up in the chair reading a book.

"He's a bit occupied at the moment. I'll get some dinner ready for when you get here. Be careful."

Finn sighed. "You know I'm always careful. I love you Fae."

"I love you too Finley."

I hung up and opened twitter. I had taken an unintentional break from twitter and only just saw the magnitude of notifications that had flashed up, lots of them belonging to the one and only, Finley Roberts.

Moony | @MoonBeamStreams

Been gone a while but coming back tonight for a special Halloween stream at 8pm! Looking forward to seeing you all there!

💬 🔁 ❤

I shoved my phone in my hoodie pocket and watched quietly as Wilbur muttered the story to Noah. It was another of his favourite books and you could tell by his smile that Wilbur was reading it well.

His little smile stirred something in my chest. It was like butterflies but more intense, like birds' wings flapping in my stomach, creating a bubble of anxiety but also reassurance. Anxiety that somebody would find him and hurt him. Knowing that I would very soon be his sole guardian was a massive weight on my shoulders and an even bigger weight when I took into account the fact that my mum would no longer be around to offer advice or give support. However, his sweet smile with those tiny teeth reassured me that we had people that could help us. We had Finley. We had only just met Wilbur and Nikki but Noah was a fan already. Hell, we even had Dream and he lived all the way in America.

Wilbur broke me out of my trance, "Do you know when Nikki is getting here?" I shook my head.

"I need to call her in a minute." He nodded and shifted Noah a little.

"She's doing an early stream at the moment so I'm guessing it might be a while." Wilbur said, closing the book.

I picked up my phone again and called Nikki's phone number.

"Hello?"

"Hi Nikki! It's Fae. Are you streaming?"

She hummed for a second. "Yeah, I am at the moment. But I'm gonna finish for 4, so in about an hour. Are you wanting me to come over?"

"Yeah, We're going to make halloween cookies before streaming and I wanted to know if you would join us?"

"Of course! That sounds like fun! I'll be there as soon as I can!"

"Okay! See you soon!"

***

By the time that Nikki arrived, we had moved into the lounge. Wilbur was laid down across the couch, looking up at the ceiling. I was sitting on the floor, leaning on the sofa with Noah on my knees playing with his train set on the coffee table. Finn had come in, bearing bags of food, nappies and photo frames. When I gave him a plate of peanut butter sandwiches and quavers he had dropped the bags and collapsed into the armchair, already munching.

When Nikki knocked on the door, I gently moved Noah aside and sprang up to open the door for her. Her make up was gorgeous, perfect winged eyeliner and vibrant orange eyeshadow for Halloween. She had a purse slung over her shoulder and held a shopping bag in her hand. On the floor in front of her were three pumpkins lined up.

"Hello! Could you help me with the pumpkins please? They're heavy and I had to do several trips." She said softly.

We carried the pumpkins onto the kitchen counter before she pulled me in for a hug. "It's nice to see you again. I know we only saw each other yesterday."

"You saw her yesterday?" Finn exclaimed.

I gave him a confused look. "Yeah we got coffee together."

"WHY WASN'T I INVITED?!" He got up from the armchair and looked me straight in the eyes.

"You were on campus!"

"I wanted coffee." He gave me puppy eyes and plopped back into the chair.

"I'll get you coffee delivered!" Nikki reasoned.

Finn laughed. "No it's okay Nikki, we just get coffee together a lot."

"Nikki, this is Finn. He wanted to join us this afternoon because he's clingy."

Finally Noah noticed Nikki's presence in the room after being engrossed in his train set. He jumped up with a shout that sounded something like 'Neek' and ran to hug Nikki's knees.

"Hello little one!" She said, crouching down to give him a proper hug.

***

Hello! I just uploaded the first chapter for another book called Lots of Love, Nova. It's based more on the DreamSMP and lore, mainly based around sbi so if you're interested check it out! Also, thank you for all the support on this story! I appreciate every vote and comment that you leave, thank you so much! 

Rosebud xx