Chapter 26: The Pink Biddy

"End of discussion

"End of discussion. If you breathe a word of this to anyone, I will have your tongue cut out."

Rose Gloxinia flung her communicator across her office, but before it could break to pieces against the wall, Isaac's fast reflexes caught it.

"Luxor, I take it?"

"Ugh. Yes. To be honest, I'm relieved to cut ties with him. The git made my skin crawl."

It'd been two days since she returned to Silva from Atropellado, and Rose's nights have been restless. Uncle Fachnan's words tossed and turned in her mind in sync with the way she tossed and turned in bed.

If you want to mingle with the family responsible for your mother's death, do what you will.

If that wasn't enough, Lancet's show of intimidation replayed alongside it.

Atropellado is our city. Armed racing has been with the Blazes for generations, and it will continue for years to come. And I'll die before I let the Gloxis have it...

Rose had been scouring through papers, photos, and records all over the estate since. From her father's office to her parent's master bedroom, the attic, the library and even archives hidden deep underground.

Almost 48 hours, a few winks of sleep, and the only thing to show for it were piles of outstanding balances and letters detailing deals made with debt collectors. The family hit a rough patch about a year leading up to her mother's death. That was nothing new to Rose though. Nothing had turned up as far as her parent's connection with Gervassio Blaze.

Since that mission failed, Rose decided to take action on whatever else she still had control over.

The first item on her list was cutting Luxor off. Whatever contingency plan she had in the event of Lancet betraying her didn't seem worth it anymore. Especially now with Lucia in Gloxinia hands. Rose had the thing, or person rather, that Lancet wanted most.

Rose also set up all logistics for her trip to the Kayos border at the end of the week. One of Lancet's men would be accompanying her as insurance. Luxor and Kayos were taken care of, but somehow, she didn't feel any relief.

An ache that felt like icy forceps crawled up her neck and clamped the back of her skull.

"Isaac," she called while massaging her temples. His steps across the carpeted floor were so silent, she thought he hadn't heard until she felt re-assuring gloved fingers over hers.

"Let me."

"Thank you," Rose sighed, giving him room to continue. They stood like this for a few minutes. Isaac skillfully loosened the forceps on her skull all the way down to her shoulders. When she almost dozed off, he stopped.

"You should sleep," he advised.

"I want to. I mean, I will..."

"What happened in Atropellado?"