Chapter 9: Visiting Hours

It was approximately three according to Lancet's internal clock

It was approximately three according to Lancet's internal clock. Rose Gloxinia was persistent and never late. Since he had allowed her to stick him in this godforsaken place days ago, his greatest amusement during his stay were her visits.

Making her squirm was becoming one of Lancet's favorite pastimes. It was an obvious indicator of their differences in both age and experience. He was very aware of Rose's little crush on him since she waltzed into the Blaze garage two years ago and enlisted his services to "escape" for a day. And just as any other hot-blooded man with eyes, he was just as attracted to her as she was to him. Normally, being a looker wasn't enough to make a woman memorable for him though. He had plenty grace his arms over the years, and couldn't even recall their names.

Rose, on the other hand, was beautiful and deadly. She knew how to handle just about every weapon known to man, and judging by their one and only date, had the same know how in armed vehicles. Luxor was also on the mark about her business prowess. If being short-tempered and inexperienced weren't her two biggest flaws, and the bad blood between their families had not existed, Lancet would've claimed her as his long ago.

But the family came first. The family would always come first.

Officer Gianni Accardo, associate from the Accardo Syndicate, came by around eight to slip a fresh box of smokes through the bars. The Accardos were another subsidiary of the Blaze family, but not powerful enough to join the Four districts. However small they were though, they were nothing if not loyal to the Blaze name.

He had to hand it to her. There weren't many with the self control she had when it came to guns. She may present herself to others as a spoiled, impatient, and trigger-happy woman, but Lancet could feel it during their tussle when they were last in his loft. Guns were limbs to her the same way his Bayonet and knives were his.

If she wanted to shoot him, even if he had evaded a lethal shot, she would have.

Lancet estimated Gloxinia would keep him in Butcheree at most, by the week's end, before deciding to surrender or leave him to rot.

If the latter was the result, the racer already had contingency plans. After all, they both knew he owned this city now, and this little vacation was something he was doing to humor her. Neither of them were keen on starting a war.

So Lancet was buying his time and playing her little game for the time being. In the meantime, his men were well aware of his whereabouts, and business has continued to run, even as he slept on a stiff prison cot.

The young Gloxinia Family crime boss was in for a surprise if she thought that she could lock him up and throw away the key.

As if punctuating this very thought, Officer Weasley strolled by, giving the thick steel door a rap.

Lancet didn't need to speak. The man already knew he was listening.

"Sir, Gloxinia at six o'clock. About twenty cells down."