Chapter 44: Reunion

(Thirty minutes earlier)

"Gods, I hate prisons!" Rose complained when she got out of Cutter's vehicle in front of Butcheree Cliffs. "Are you coming?"

"Not yet," Cutter answered vaguely from the driver's seat. So much for chivalry this time.

"Okay? Thanks for the ride, I guess?"

Rose faced the prison, and was about to tap away in her flats when Cutter's voice stopped her.

"Hey. I'm sorry about your men."

"It's not you who needs to apologize."

"I know... Lucia is just as much of a stranger to me as she is to you, but I know Boss Lancet. Getting to his sister is something he's been wanting for years. And if there's anything I know about Lancet, it's that he rewards loyalty with loyalty. It won't bring back your men, but..."

"But?"

Cutter's brown eyes bore into hers, and with all seriousness, he said, "Just know debts will be paid."

"I see. Good to know." Rose swallowed a sharp lump in her throat. For some reason, Cutter's cryptic advice made a chill run up her spine.

"Bigger fish to fry!" Rose reminded herself as she shook off the ominous feeling, and marched towards the entrance.

———

(Now)

Rose was tired, hungry, and sick of being in this damned prison. As handsome as Lancet was, it wasn't enough to keep following him on this wild goose chase. While she was grateful for not being taken advantage of when the lights went out, the questions were only increasing in number, and if she didn't see sunlight within five minutes, Rose knew she'd lose her damned mind.

I have extra ammo in my purse, and if I need to gun down this entire, blinking place to get the hell out, then so be it. It's been too long. Isaac should be arriving with reinforcements soon anyway.

There wasn't a single reason she could think of to keeping following Lancet unless he gave her one. Now.

"Rose," Lancet sighed. He sounded equally tired. "I could swear we were allies now?"

"So did I. Drop the shiv."

"That's not necessary-"

"Do it, Lancet. My blood sugar is very low, and my adrenaline very high. Those two are not a good combination."

He did as she asked, and slipped the weapon out from his waistband. It clattered at their feet.

"Good. Now, unless you have janitorial experience on your rap sheet, I need you to explain to me why we're taking this route, and how you knew you'd need Cutter."

Cutter's words rang in her memory. "Are you coming?" she had asked, to which Cutter answered, "Not yet."

"If you'd only give me a few more seconds, the answer will be clear as day," Lancet said.