Roadtrip Part 2: Campfire

General POV:

When John B got tired of driving, they switched off. Kiara took the wheel and after about another hour and a half of driving Kiara was done too. They had been driving for a good 8 hours at least, and none of them had eaten any food or slept at all. They did have to stop once for JJ to go to the bathroom but after that, they were on their way. Pope used google maps to find the closest camping ground and there was once about 50 miles down the road. When the crew got there they set up camp. Which was just to park the Twinkie and sit by the fire pit. JJ was at least useful for something and he managed to remember to bring firewood. They lit the fire and sat around it.

"So...was this a good idea?" JJ asked, just wanting his friends to admit it.

"I gotta give it to you JJ, this is awesome," John B said. He was sitting with Sarah, who looked happy to be with the Pogues again.

"What made you think of this JJ?" Sarah asked.

"I don't know, maybe I just needed to get away from school, or that I wanted to spend some quality time with my peeps."

"Well it was a good idea," Kiara said. 

Pope smiled. "Okay, so before we do s'mores,"

"You brought s'mores!?!" JJ asked excitedly.

"Yes, JJ I brought s'mores, you don't need to freak out"

"I was going to say before we do s'mores we should handle the sleeping situation. I'm guessing two people will have to sleep outside each night."

"Sarah and I can sleep outside tonight," John B said. Sarah looked like she was about to protest but she stopped herself.

"That leaves the back of the van and the front seat," Sarah added.

"I call the front seat!" Pope yelled. "Sorry, I just want the reclined chair." He gave a sheepish grin. "Okay, we can do smores now." 

They all laughed and talked and ate their s'mores, but nobody seemed to realize that having Pope in the front seat and John B and Sarah outside, left JJ and Kiara together in the back of the van. 

Well, Pope, Sarah and John B didn't. JJ and Kiara sure did, but they hide their feelings well. 

JJ POV:

Before I could call the front seat, Pope did. So that left me and Kie. Pope's gonna be in the front seat I told my self but it didn't help. The butterflies in my stomach erupted like a volcano. I don't even know why. I had never felt this way before. Of course, I liked Kie. She was a super hot, rich, hippie chick, who hung out with us Pogues. But that crush ended a long time ago. Was it still possible that I liked her? Or maybe I always had. She had never shown any interest in me but the last couple of days have been even worse. She was absorbed into her own thoughts, and she only talked of there was a conversation going. She seemed to talk to me even less. Maybe I was just paranoid that she might go Full Kook again, but that was silly. She was a Pogue and always will be. Right?

"JJ"

"Huh?" I snapped out of his thoughts and focused on the present. 

Kiara laughed. "Bro, you burned your marshmallow."

"I like it like that" I lied. I tried to spend the rest of the night not thinking of sleeping next to Kiara but that's what my mind drifted to. It wasn't until she got up and walked to the van that I came back to the present. 

"I'll be right back you guys," I told everyone. 

Kiara POV:

It didn't hit me until later. I had just bitten into my s'more and that's when I realized. JJ and I would be in the van together. Pope's gonna be in the front seat I reminded myself, but that didn't stop the butterflies from erupting in my stomach. I looked at JJ and he was staring off into space. His marshmallow was burning and he didn't seem to be paying attention. 

"JJ," I said. 

"Huh?" He snapped out of his trance. 

I laughed. "Bro, you burned your marshmallow."

"I like it like that," He said. I knew he was lying though. He hated burnt marshmallows. I had felt that he had been doing a lot of this lately. Staring off into space and thinking, then getting caught up in his thoughts and spacing out. He seemed really out of it lately. I didn't know why. I caught my breath silently. What if he found out? I had just found out a few days ago that I might have to leave Outer Banks. My dad had been offered a job somewhere else and he was thinking of taking it. I had tried so hard to get him not to, but he wouldn't budge. 

Flashback

"It's my decision Kiara, not yours! If I want to take this job I will. I can do whatever the hell I want, so don't tell me what to do!" 

I ran up to my room and cried. I so many things were running through my mind. I didn't want to leave. I wanted to live my life with the Pogues. I wanted to watch John B and Sarah get married. I wanted to do all of it with my best friends. And my dad was going to take that away from me.

End of flashback 

 A tear slipped down my cheek and I looked up to see if anyone had noticed. John B, Pope, and Sarah were having a conversation about something but I couldn't make out any words.  And JJ was staring off into space like before. I couldn't do this. I couldn't leave them. I got up to go lay down in the van. As I was walking off I heard someone say,

"I'll be right back you guys,"

word count: 1003

i love this one so far and i hope you do too. the next part will hopefully come out tomorrow or the day after. i have so many ideas for future one-shots so stay tuned. im also open for suggestions. 

- el