Prologue- 1989

Emma

"Class, we have a new student," announced my new teacher Mrs. Rogers who was a sweet and older teacher. The principal made an effort to walk me down to my classroom where I would be meeting Mrs. Rogers. There before me were rows of desks with other kids just like me. "Please give a kind welcome to Emma Martinez."

"Hello Emma," all the students replied together.

Once I was introduced, the principal went back to his office and Mrs. Rogers found me an empty seat in the front. And for the next hour, everyone was doing math. Of course, I wasn't sure what was going on. All my eyes could do was stare at the chalkboard.

At lunch, I didn't have to worry about who I was going to sit with as every class had to sit together. Most of my classmates ignored me and went about their daily lives. I was just grateful that my mom gave me a lunch bag. Pulling out my brown paper lunch bag with a happy face drawn on it, my own lips couldn't help but smile. My mom loved me.

Inside the paper bag was something I had never seen before. It was something called Lunchables. What kind of small lunch was this? It was just a few crackers with meat and cheese. How was this a lunch? What happened to the sandwiches that my mom would make? Did she expect me to starve the rest of the day? Oh well. At least she was nice enough to throw a new Hot Wheels in the lunch bag. A '64 Shelby Daytona. Sweet. A new car for my collection.

"What do you have here?" asked a boy with two missing teeth. He didn't even ask to look at it. Instead, he grabbed it and took a look. "Hot Wheels? Nice. I bet this is worth a lot of money." With that, the car went in his pocket and he walked away. A piece of my mom went missing. It was like she had died.

"Give it back!" I mumbled as tears were battling to leave my eyes.

The stupid boy ended up laughing and walked on back to me. "Why the heck would I give this back to a beaner like you? Finders keepers." He began laughing like a scary person from a scary movie.

"She said to give it back!" declared another boy with better-looking teeth. It was as if a knight had walked in. My heart had somehow melted.

"Or what?" asked Mr. ugly teeth. "You gonna give me a wet willy?" He began laughing again. "I'm so scared."

"Ted, I told you to give the car back to her." Oh my. This boy looked a little frightened but he was somehow brave. "Give it back to her."

"Shut up barf bag and mind your own business." The ugly creature began walking away with the new car."

"Well, I'm not the one that needs to bag my face," declared the special knight. Ted stopped and faced him. Oh, he was definitely not happy. "When did you lose that tooth. Last year in first grade? The tooth fairy thinks your lame."

"Oh yeah?" he began. "At least I'm not a stupid wannabe spaz." Their bodies were growing closer by the second. Everyone in the class had their eyes on them. Were they about to fight?"

For a good long minute, they didn't say anything and looked at each other in disgust. Things changed once my knight found a banana nearby. He unpeeled it and shoved that thing into Ted's mouth. Everyone cheered. Some kids thought it was even funny. I was just glad that I got my car back. And right across from me was my knight. Yes, my knight wanted to have lunch with me.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"Emma."

"I'm Jeremy." We shook hands and he took his lunch out. A sandwich, applesauce, and milk. "You like cars?"

"Yeah, I love cars. Me and my daddy used to go to the car shows on almost all of the weekends."

"You guys don't go to the car shows anymore?"

"No." Tears wanted to escape. I was tired of crying. "My daddy got a bad cancer when first grade was over. He couldn't make any money in Texas and we had to move out here with my Tio and Tia."

Jeremy felt bad and decided it would be a good idea to give me his applesauce. All my tears suddenly went away and couldn't be found.

"I think I saw a real car that looked like that Hot Wheel you got," he proclaimed. "I can show it to you sometime."

"Really? That sounds awesome."

And from there a friendship was born. Guess my parents were right. I would make a new friend just like I did when I first started kinder. Maybe someday I could marry Jeremy and have a million babies. And maybe we could have a lot of cars. It all sounded so great.

Hope you all enjoyed the prologue! Jeremy is truly a knight. Chapter One goes up tomorrow with a new chapter every Saturday!

Remember to comment and vote!

Were you alive in 1989?