53: Like a Racecar

Jeremy

"If you want me try to take me

On the inside, just like a racecar."

One of the pros of having people from the future was that we got to listen to music from the future. With these iPhones, our children gave us the gift of music while we spent the night outside under the stars. And out of all the songs we got to hear, "Like a Racecar" was by far my favorite. Sadly, it would be about another five years from now before that song actually came out. Sure, the wait would be tough, but the future of pop-punk sounded more than promising. JEM would never die.

Each of us had a job to do. Butts was in charge of the overall outlook of the car as his top priority was making sure that the AC in the car was working properly. According to him, The lithium in the iPhones could easily overheat which would cause the mission to fail. With the AC, it would cool down the phones. Of course, with that information, I was left a little confused. Wouldn't the phones overheat once lightning hit the tower? After all, I was assuming the car would be dealing with electricity. At the end of the day, I had to remember that Butts was the expert.

Emily and Hector were in charge of finding other needed parts in the junkyard. Who would've ever guessed that there was more to this car than either Emma or I ever realized? Some of these parts sounded made up, but they were definitely real. If this whole mission relied on just the two of us, it would've taken a few more years.

Emma, Marvin, and Melissa had the responsibility of working on the engine and the gas power which required some dangerous firepower. They had to figure out a way to make sure the car would be able to use lithium as gas power. It was crazy to see how natural of a leader Marvin was turning out to be. It was also crazy to see just how smart he was. Part of me wondered if my son was so smart, would all cars be able to use Lithium in the future? Seriously, why stop at this car? Why not all cars? Crap, was my future son really this smart?

Hailey and I worked on detailing the car which included a nice paint job. We were able to do this once we were handed over new tires from the junkyard. We all agreed that we wanted this racecar to be a mix of blue and black as Emma wanted to see her reflection on the car.

"Carry on, but daddy's gone

Tell me what did I do wrong?

I need your help cause I don't know

Take it slow, look out below."

As Hailey and I requested, the song Like a Racecar was playing again for the millionth time. I loved the way Hailey used her auto paint sprayer to pretend it was a microphone. It was as if she knew this song by heart as she knew the words to this song perfectly. So much emotion went into the way she sang it. Soon enough, I joined Hailey in pretending to have a microphone. Her face took over with glee when she saw me playing along.

"And I'm traveling past the ever-growing graffiti on the overpass

I wave to everybody while i fly on past

Cause this racecar was built to last."

As I sang along with my girl, my thumb accidentally slipped and I found myself spraying Hailey with paint. Her head was covered in blue. With a giant laugh, she returned the favor and turned my head black. In just a short time, we were covered in nothing but paint. It felt like we were two young children spraying each other with squirt guns on a hot summer day. Thankfully, most of the car was already painted and it wasn't too much of a big deal we were wasting paint.

"What do you think would happen if you mixed black with blue?" asked Hailey.

"Let's find out."

Just like that, I pushed Hailey onto the ground as we began to wrestle. The wrestling didn't last long as her lips grabbed the attention of my own lips. Our bodies showed no space between us.

With dawn on the horizon, we had finally finished the racecar. All of us stood there with pride in what we had accomplished. Right before us, was a shiny blue and black racecar that was ready for action. It was years in the making that sent a cold shiver down my spine. Butts took the liberty of testing it out. Putting the keys in the ignition, it started and made such a sweet sound no ear had ever heard. We all clapped and cheered as Emma began tearing up and crying with joy. For a good minute, we hugged each other tightly.

The sun was minutes away from being up. Emma found herself asleep in the backseat while Hailey and I sat in the front. Everyone else went to Butt's to get rest. Hailey seemed to be intrigued with the music on one of the iPhones that were already installed inside the car. The dashboard allowed us to listen to music from the devices. She couldn't stop blabbing about this band called Paramore. Eventually, we set it to a slow song and lowered the volume.

"Like, what's the deal? Do we actually end up getting married? And Marvin is our son?" asked Hailey.

"It would seem so," I responded in a completely relaxed tone. There was no desire to sleep.

"How much do you know? Like, have you got the chance to talk to Marvin or Melissa about us? You had Melissa's iPhone, right? Like, how much did you actually find out with that?"

Placing a thumb on her chin, our sight came together with a kiss on her forehead. We both smiled.

"I know enough. Yeah, we do have a future together, but that's all I'm going to say. Honestly, I could tell you everything I know, but let me just say, I had some anxiety knowing our future. These last few days have been rough." I needed to take a breather to compile what I would say next. "When I found out, we were going to be a thing, I was excited but nervous. Part of me thought the iPhone could help decide which college to go to based on which one you're going to."

"I still have no idea where I'm going in the fall," she interrupted.

"Exactly. You have no clue where you're going, but we do end up graduating college together. I'm starting to think it's a good thing that I'm still deciding. Maybe I would've made the wrong decision with that stupid phone. But yeah, we have a future and apparently, fate has it set in stone. And if we have a future, why worry about anything else? Everything will work itself out. No reason to worry about a single thing. All this worrying I've been doing has caused nothing but trouble and a high bill that's pissing off my old man."

"So, like, what are you saying?" She asked with a smile and chuckle. "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"I'm saying let's not worry about tomorrow. Let's just worry about today and live in each moment."

"Love that idea. "With a bright grin, she gave my lips the gift of hers and they moved against each other as if a plane were about to go down. And as we kissed, our new favorite song began to play again. Throughout the whole song, we continued to express our love for each other.

"I'll let you drive

I'll let you drive

I'll let you drive

I'll let you take me away!"

Thanks for reading. The end is near! And please do comment and vote.

What did you think of the song for this chapter?

How does the race car sound?

You excited for Jeremy and Emma to drive it?