13- Save Me

Emma

"Emma," blurted a surprised Jeremy. "Didn't expect to see you here. What are you doing here?"

As shocking as this was, my heart was doing jumping jacks knowing that he was actually here. Maybe this wouldn't be a bad night after all.

"Oh, you know me. I like to crash parties." We both chuckled. "No, but I'm actually here because Emily and I met this weird guy named Marvin. Apparently, he's looking for some doctor. And we came to the conclusion that Butts could track him down and would likely be at this party tonight to pick up a few drunk idiots."

"Wait a minute," began Jeremy who couldn't keep a straight face. "Are you serious? And with that, he caught the giggles for a bit. "Well, it sounds like you had an interesting day. And what kind of name is Marvin? Seriously, who would ever name their kid Marvin?"

I'll admit, everything about this sounded ridiculous and I found myself with the giggles along with Jeremy. We were eventually able to calm down and catch our breaths. "Where's Marvin? Is he here?" asked a curious Jeremy.

"No, he never made it past the front door. Ted had his idiot goons dumped him into the sewer."

"Of course, he did. What else would Ted do?" Who knew that this boy had a gift for eye-rolling? "So how did you guys meet this Marvin anyways?"

"That's actually an interesting story," yeah, I didn't really want to explain this to him. "Afterschool, Emily agreed to help me with the racecar and so she drove me home after school. After about an hour of working on that piece of junk, something strange happened. I can't really explain it." It was clear that I had Jeremy's full attention as I was trying to figure out what actually happened with the car. "I mean, I guess you could say that the car possibly started heating up and caught fire and partially exploded. I don't remember exactly. The two of us ended up passing out which is when Marvin saved us."

"Oh," he began completely caught off guard by what happened. "Wow, that is crazy. Are you guys okay? You don't need to see a doctor or anything?"

"Yeah, we're fine." Not wanting to talk about what happened anymore, an attempt was made to change the topic. "What about you? Why are you here? Did you end up buying that new Blink 182 CD?"

"I actually did end up buying the new album. Actually, that's kind of why I'm unfortunately at this party." With a deep sigh, he continued to speak. "You see after I bought the album and spent about an hour talking to Dave about music, I got on my bike and tried to ride across the crosswalk, but it got stuck."

Before another word could be said, the temptation to interrupt his speech couldn't be ignored. "Wait, why didn't you just walk your bike across the crosswalk? You seriously need to get it repaired."

"Yeah, don't know what I was thinking." More eye-rolling ensued. "Anyways, Hailey was in her car and not paying attention to the road. She was that close to hitting me. It was like my life flashed before me. Thankfully, this strange girl saved me and pushed me away from the crosswalk. My old man happened to be driving by and gave us a ride home."

My mouth couldn't help but interrupt again. "Wait, what's her name? Do I know her? Does she go to our school?"

It was clear that Jeremy was getting a bit annoyed, but I couldn't help it. Okay, it was time to be a good friend and let the poor boy finish the story.

"Well, her name is Melissa. She's actually homeschooled. So, I don't think you would know her, but she's here at the party and you can meet her tonight. Anyways, we had Melissa over for dinner tonight and even though Melissa is sixteen and not a senior, my mom insisted that we both come to this party."

A silence quickly came between us and we both looked around our surroundings. From a distance, a moving bus driving was spotted. It must be Butts coming to the rescue. While taking notice of this bus, Jeremy noticed a little table holding cups full of lemonade. Offering, I accepted and he brought us a cup to drink.

"Does this have any alcohol?" Curiosity got the best of me.

"I'm not sure. There could be a chance that it does considering the fact that this is Ted's party."

After finishing my lemonade, I spoke again. "Isn't it crazy that Ted is the one that's throwing this party?"

"I know," Jeremy set his half-full cup down. "If I would've known that this was Ted's party, I definitely would've made sure not to come." Moments later, Hailey was walking by from a distance. It looked like she was walking towards the pool with a couple of friends. "But I suppose this party has some benefits."

Great, of course, Hailey was here. A sudden strong desire in me wanted to walk up to that idiot and punch her in the jaw in hopes that her teeth could be knocked out. There would be no more little miss perfect. If only that were somehow possible. If only. One could only dream.

"But yeah," Jeremy spoke again once Hailey couldn't be seen. "I had enough of Ted for one day."

"Right? Like, we both already got saved today from something that we didn't see coming. Why can't someone rescue us from Ted?" Okay, technically Jeremy had been the one rescuing me all these years.

"I totally get that," he began laughing. "Somebody save me. Somebody like Superman."

Just like that, a strange beeping noise went off in the boy's pocket which led to a song that I had never heard before. It was definitely not Blink 182.

"Somebody save me

Let your warm hands break right through."

What on Earth was going on in that pocket of his?

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Don't have too much fun at the party. lol

Are you a superhero fan?

Will Jeremy actually show Emma the strange device?

Should he?