Why Did The Cocoa Powder Cross The Road? 🍫

Hailey's been assigned the task to make her mom's brownies for the new year, but she desperately needs help. She manages to get a simp from the street to assist, but something goes terribly wrong.

"Okay, we're baking my mom's brownies. Jake, where's the list of ingredients?" Hailey spun around, facing the singer. "Uhh... Oh! Over here, on the fridge" Jake said, pointing to the paper with scraggly writing. Hailey only nodded in response. "It's important we don't mess this up. My family is counting on us.. their new year is going to be ruined!" The girl muttered. She felt a warm hand on her shoulder. "Hey, don't worry. This is why I gave you my help anyways. Plus, it's a chance to prove to Zander I'm not so useless anyways" Jake grinned at the thought.

Hailey chuckled softly. Oh, how she will forever be amused by his antics. "Okay, Mr Pro Baker, mind helping me with the chocolate and butter here?". He winked back and approached her. About an hour later, the two friends had succeeded in mixing everything and pouring the chocolatey goodness into one tray. They set the timer and pushed it into the oven.

"Phew, we did it. Let's hope you don't burn the kitchen with all those extra accidental eggs in the batter.." Hailey said, eyeing Jake. "Don't be such a worrywart, princess. All we have to do now is sit back, relax, and watch tv till we start smelling the brownie" He answered, stretching his back with his arms. Hailey rolled her eyes playfully. "Whatever dork, I'm picking our entertainment. You'd end up choosing cat videos" she mused.

"Psh, Fine. No picking anything bleghh like Princess Diaries or anything of the sort. I had to sit through that with my sister for a whole two hours" Jake shivered. "Poor you. I'm choosing Foo Fighters" Hailey replied. "Oo, Everlong please" He suggested. Hailey did as told and went to the search bar. The sound of gentle guitar consumed the room.

Hello...I've waited here for you...Everlong...

 "God, don't you just love that guitar," Hailey said, mesmerised. Jake only smiled back in agreement. "I'm sure Luke would appreciate the drums" he continued. Hailey laughed slightly. "You betcha". The two relaxed, letting nothing but music consume them. Hailey fell in deep sleep, while Jake scrolled through Instagram. Until he stopped midway to get a better sniff. "It's so stuffy in here.." He muttered. Then the boy realised black fog surrounding his head. His gaze followed the dark mist to the kitchen and from the oven. "Shoot! Haileyyyy!"

But his friend didn't bother answering. (Mainly because she was sleeping. "Hailey! I think I might've burned your kitchen down- Oh god, Hailey, wake up!". Jake shook her awake, ignoring the dried-up drool at the corner of her mouth. "Nghh.. What the hell, Jake?" Hailey grunted, rubbing her eyes. "Okay, don't freak out, but I need you to bring the fire extinguisher"

That got Hailey awake.

 "WHAT?!" she shrieked. "You can terrorize me later, right now, I need you to tell me where the extinguisher is," Jake asked. "It's in the middle of the hallway near my and Zander's room. Hurry!" Hailey said in a rush, jumping off the couch and speeding to the kitchen like the Roadrunner. Not wasting any time, Jake immediately got hold of the red heavy metal thingamabob and tiptoed to the kitchen, avoiding anything that was caught on fire. In a pool of sweat, Jake pressed down on the lever hard, making the white foam collapse and putting out the fire.

"Oh.. my... god. I'm so not trusting you in.. my parent's kitchen.. ever again" Hailey uttered. "I seriously didn't think extra eggs would cause some goddamn fire" Jake breathed, exhausted. "I don't think it's the eggs. It's probably something else" Hailey noted.

"Wait.." she said, realizing something. "Shoot! Zander and Luke are coming home any minute now! I think they went on some date. Shoot, shoot, shoot! How are we supposed to hide this?!" Hailey cried, pointing to the black ashes of what remains the oven. "Okay princess, deep breaths. Do you have some huge blanket or something?". Hailey put her hand to her chin, wondering where she's seen a huge cloth and/or blanket anywhere. "Zander has one. Aunt Dorothy got it for him for Christmas last year," she confirmed. "Great, we'll use that then".

~

 "Hailey, we're home!" Zander shouted, opening the door. He etched closer to the couch near the blaring tv. Zander had a scowl on his face upon seeing Jake next to his sister. "Oh. You're here.." He grumbled. "Hey, Jake! Whatcha doing here, with... Hailey?" Luke grinned. "Don't be like my mother, Luke. You're lucky I love you" Zander informed, placing a peck on the cheek enough for Luke to turn pink all over.

Hailey spun her head around, giving an awkward smile. "Hey, you two. How was the date?". Luke answered for his boyfriend. "Great. Although, we could've sworn Milly and Elliot were there too" he shrugged. "What about mom's brownies? They'd turn out okay?" Zander asked, walking towards the kitchen unsuspectingly. "Wait! Uh, Jake.. why don't you tell Zander that baking joke you told me," Hailey said, nodding her head. She noticed Jake mouthed her; 'WHAT?!', but she continued to ignore him anyway. "Go on, Jake. I'll fix up the kitchen before Luke and Zander get a taste" The girl pressed. Earning a sigh from the singer, he got up to her brother. 

Jake fidgeted his fingers nervously. Zander arched an eyebrow. "Um, why did the cocoa powder cross the road?". The pianist was unamused. "To get inside the batter!" Jake finished, looking back at Hailey. "Haha.. funny, amirite?" she uttered a laugh. "You're not buying any of this, are you?"

Luke and Zander both shook their heads. 

To be continued...