ꕥ No Time For Toxic People

the way they look at me,
I know exactly
what they talk about
when I'm not around

„But why didn't you get an A?"
Maryse had her eyebrows raised, holding the exam between her long, thin fingers. Alec felt something break inside him. She couldn't be serious right now. He had worked himself from a D all the way up to a B+, had sacrificed sleep and free time in order to get the stupid algebra in his head and it still wasn't enough?

Will it ever be enough?

He snatched the paper from her and turned to leave. All he wanted to do was lock the door and cry. Afterwards, he would call or text Magnus because that always helped.

But his mother wasn't done with him just yet. "It's your turn to clean the kitchen and you will do the bathroom too if you do a sloppy job. Get some posture, boy." She grabbed his shoulders and made him stand up straight.

He was too tired to argue, he was actually always too tired to argue, so he nodded and got to work. It wasn't hard for him to swallow all the pain that he felt.

One of his biggest fears was being a disappointment and his parents made certainly sure to remind him day by day how close he was to that. He never got praised for anything it was either a nod or a scold. His chest felt heavy and his whole body ached from the sleepless nights on his desk, all the house chores, and his bottled-up emotions.

Magnus, he wanted Magnus. Cleaning, instead of crying was fine but he wouldn't let them take away the time with his best friend. Well, maybe he was even more than that. The thought of talking to the Indonesian boy who went to school with him gave him the energy to get the chore done.

They had met in the bus on the way to their first day of college. Usually, Alec had a hard time making friends because he was highly introverted and mainly focused on getting good grades. But Magnus had just sat down next to him, dashing to get the seat because his station was always crowded with people. He had smiled satisfied and then turned to Alec and spoken.

It had just all burst out of him, everything. He had told a complete stranger details about his life and how exited he was for college and how happy he was to have made his first friend.

Alec hadn't said much that first day but he had listened and he had smiled and for some reason, Magnus must have liked it. Ever since, Alec had put his backpack on the seat next to him to make sure Magnus would sit there and the art student had always made it.

They were already four months into college now and Magnus was still Alec's only and most important friend. But he wasn't so sure if they were truly still just friends. Magnus said things, things that made Alec blush. He also sat close to him or even put his arm around him in the bus and on their last sleepover, Magnus had spooned him.

So, it was more than friends and Alec liked it that way, needed it that way. Lately he had some really intense dreams about Magnus and he was happy that no device had been invented that could broadcast them on a screen. Because if there was, his mother surely would purchase it with their never ending lawyer family money and she definitely would watch all of his dreams in order to scold him for them and control him better.

The thought of her knowing his most private desires made Alec panic because they certainly weren't how the Lightwoods preferred their life: Straight

so spend your hours on
what you think I've done wrong
I know I'm in your mind,
I've been here way too long