chapter 4 fire temple

Sai and I met at the leaf gate about 5 minutes later.

"You ready artist?" I asked.

"Artist?" Sai asked as we began walking.

"Its like a nickname. Because your so artistic and like to paint I'll be calling you artist or painter from time to time." I said. "Your new to the whole social thing aren't you?"

"I guess so. When I met sakura, she said I should give someone a nickname or pet name using that ones traits." Sai explained.

"Did you call her ugly?" I asked knowing the answer.

"I was only being honest...."

"Sai, sometimes honesty doesn't do well with women. Sometimes just saying, 'hey you look nice today,' is just what they need." I explained to him. "Not me though, frankly I wouldn't want to be called pretty. It would only remind me of my 3 long years with oruchimaru."

"You were with oruchimaru??" Sai asked.

"Yeah, then I half killed him." I said. Don't you even dare oruchimaru.

Then I felt a chill go up my spine and I shivered lightly. "Are you cold?" Sai asked.

"No. Instead of killing oruchimaru I actually reversed his jutsu so I absorbed him instead, so now as my price I have to deal with creepy chills." I explained.

"That mustn't be much fun." Sai said.

I laughed, "it sucks." I said to him.

"Could I ask you something?" Sai said with curiosity and wonder.

"Of course." I replied.

"You seem to know a lot about social interaction." Sai began. "Could you tell me a few things?"

"Sure. Books are just ink on paper. But I can tell you with first hand experience." I said happily. "What do ya wanna know?"

"Well, I guess we could start with nicknames," sai replied.

"Okay, well a nickname is usually a name to shorten a long one, Like for me you could call me Liz. Or a nickname might have to do with a certain trait that person has, not always from appearance. But also their feelings. So say someone is incredibly energetic, you could call them hyper." I explained. "And also using words that aren't offensive towards that person is the best way to go, even if you don't mean it."

"Thank you. But how would one help another through a depressing phase?"

"Easy, for temporary relief it easy to simply place your hand on their shoulder and smile caringly." I said demonstrating this method.

"The book said to show tenderness..." Sai said after I moved my hand away.

"That meant you needed to show understanding, or care towards the other person. The way they word things led you off guard."

"Thank you for your advise. I'll note to try these techniques soon." Sai said with his fake smile.

"No problem." I said. "No matter how small it may be I'll always help a friend. Even if I don't know them too well."

"This should be where we need to meet the temple munks right?" Sai asked pointing to a stone.

"Should be. Well looks like we got here early." I said sitting down. "Gotta wait then."

Sai sat down next to me, "its so quiet." Sai commented.

"Almost too quiet." I said. I then searched the area with my chakra but got nothing except a few squirrels. "We're alone, that much I can tell you."