Tired of it all

When Evelyn returned that day with a couple of bags I had a very sheepish look on my face. Not only had I had the most relaxed day ever- I had also finished most of the doughnuts he'd bought, though he told me to keep some. Of course being the kind hearted person I was I had tried to leave him two doughnuts, but even then I had a piece of one of the doughnuts clutched protectively in my hand. Evelyn slowed down as he placed his jacket on the hook; he raised his eyebrows questioningly at my almost guilty look.

"What?" I shrugged, popping the piece of doughnut in my mouth.

"Well you know the doughnuts you sent me?" I asked my mouth full, "well, you see they finished- some of them got lost and I gave one of them to the door guy..." I trailed off at the slightly amused look he gave me.

"I guess you're just chewing on broccoli right now?" He asked walking past and opened the box of doughnuts he'd bought, Evelyn's eyebrows shot up a little further. "You left me one? Oh you shouldn't have."

"Well, it's not like I wanted to..." I grumbled folding my arms. "Honestly I was going to finish them off but you came a little earlier than I thought you would." My voice trailed off sadly.

"I take it you liked them?" Evelyn asked keeping the last chocolate doughnut out of reach, my eyes followed it.

"Yes... yes except perhaps they could have been a little bigger...?" I suggested, Evelyn laughed softly.

"Fine, what did you do whilst I was away?" He asked walking off to the coffee machine and filling himself a cup. I shrugged.

"Bath, food, sleep, eat, food..." I explained, there wasn't much to say other than that, I wasn't planning on saying that the bath wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been, t bought back bad memories. The corner of Evelyn's mouth twitched a little, almost like a smile. His face turned a little more serious.

"Nothing... happened?" He asked carefully, I shook my head. I knew that he didn't entirely believe me; it wasn't like I always told him what I did. "Hmm..." A thoughtful look crossed his face, "I guess you could... maybe get used to this?"

"You mean staying inside all the time?" I asked frowning a little, Evelyn didn't reply, merely shrugged a little. "No." I muttered, and glanced at his monotone expression. "I mean it was nice... and all but very boring and you know I'd rather... find a job." I waited for a reaction, but he said nothing.

"I mean I've been contacted by a few agencies..." Evelyn glanced up at me, stirring his coffee ever so slowly. "So... I'll check them out tomorrow." Again, no reply. Instead Evelyn sipped his coffee quietly, glancing at me from over the cup.

"Tomorrow?" He asked in a soft voice, it seemed almost as if he was talking to himself.

"Ah... yes... I mean- how unlucky can I be...?" I shoved my hands in my pockets and risked a glance at him; Evelyn's stare was fixed on me.

"Very unlucky as far as we can see." He replied and gestured me to sit down on the sofa, I did so. There was a silence as both of us took a seat, I decided that I was very interested in the carpet design.

"We both know it would be absolutely absurd for you to do such thing." His voice was stern , he seemed to be telling me off like one would do to a child.

"Well, you can't expect me to stay home for ever right?" I shrugged and glanced around not really wanting an argument after he got me so many doughnuts. Evelyn sighed and leaned back onto the sofa and stared ahead for a bit.

" I just don't think it's such a good idea right now." He was careful with his words. Evelyn glanced at me. "You do know where I'm coming from don't you?" He asked slowly, I didn't reply for a minute.