First day at job

“Oh my... bloody...” I stared for a while first not really knowing how to feel. This man, Evelyn... he was my boss. I started wondering if that was a good thing or not. Let’s look at the negatives, my mind told me.

I would be bossed around by him, which was kind of what this job was about right? But then again, i would finally know what he worked as. The application wasn’t too specific, in fact it was generally... just saying that I was applying to job. It had said something about getting ‘debriefed regarding the position in which the chosen candidate may possibly be placed in  a presently date’ if you got the job that is, it took me at least ten minutes deciphering what that actually meant. The starting pay was what caught my eye to be truthful.

“Oh my god, this is... too good!” I managed to croak out absorbing the look on Evelyn’s face. He quickly regained his composure and strode forward towards his phone glaring at me whilst he did so.

“Could I have my driver sent here, yes.” He paused and seemed to be listening to the poor soul on the other side of the phone. I could only imagine how terrified the other guy was. “No,” He finally hissed, his voice cold, “I’m waiting for five minutes at the least.” Did he know how very pompous he sounded right now? Maybe he was planning to run away right now.

“Oh no wait- tell me what this job is about before leav-”

“I’m not leaving.” Evelyn said calmly, a few strands of his usually perfectly combed hair were now settling over his forehead. He automatically pushed his hair back. “But you are.” He reassured himself and turned to me. “How did you...?”

I blinked and stared at him for a bit as if not understanding what he had just said to me.

“But you see… I work here.” I explained, my face changing drastically, I sent him a confused look. “Because I got the job you see…” He sighed and shook his head a small smile crossing his face. There was no hint of humour in that smile of his.

“But you’re not.” He explained quietly. “And as I’m your Boss, for a bit anyway, you have to do what I tell you to. And right now I’m telling you to go home.” He stared at me quietly. “Do you understand that Hazel?” My mouth had turned into a straight line.

“Of course Sir, Boss, whichever you prefer really.” I replied trying to sound calm, I knew what he was trying to do. Make me angry so that I could get fired. “And I do believe you’re supposed to refer to as Miss Hazel.” Evelyn blinked, I minute passed in silence where he just pinned me down with his silver eyed stare.

“I refer to you as Hazel.” He started softly stepping forward, a small angry flush on his cheeks.  “And I’ll tell you why, because you’re my wife. Not my secretary.”

“Personal assistant.” I muttered.

“And if I were to refer you with a title. It would be Miss; it would be Mrs, why? Because you’re married.”  He continued ignoring me; his eyes scanned the large windows behind his desk.

“The driver’s here.” He said finally and I stared back dismayed.

“Fine.” I said finally. “I’ll go home Sir.” I specifically put emphasis on ‘sir’, it annoyed him I’d realised when I didn’t call him by his name, as if we weren’t related.  “But before I do, I do believe that it says on my contract,” I took out my contract scanning it and pointed triumphed. “On the first day of your advent you shall be informed of what the profession of your position necessitates of you, this you shall not share with any person apart from your superior commander by swearing an oath.”

Evelyn’s jaw clenched at that but I continued anyway.

“Before you depart you will be presented your bureau and specified the minutiae of the profession prerequisite, after which you shall appear at a meeting with your associates.” I tilted my head. “Simply, before I leave you need to give me my job requirement and I need to attend a meeting in an hour.” I  flashed him a charming smile which he returned gracefully with a glare.