Run

The song especially suits the second three quarters of the chapter- enjoy!

"Hazel," 

Someone was trying to pull the duvet off me. How dare they! I clutched at the blanket tighter than I had before. The monster started shaking me instead. I half heatedly tried to swat them away, and they caught my wrist instead. 

"Don'tdothis" I slurred, still half asleep "YoullregretitIswear" I opened my eyes and found myself staring at the face of an an angel. 

He stared down at me for a second as I examined his beauty. Oh right, it was Evelyn. And he looked worried. 

"I'm giving you two seconds before I pick you up," he said softly. 

Although that didn't sound much like a threat to me, I forced myself to sit up and haul myself out of the bed. 

"What's wrong?" I asked. 

He was already striding around the room, pulling clothes into a bag and hauling it over his shoulder. He pulled the curtain slightly back and glanced out before letting it fall back. 

"We need to leave," he said finally. 

"Why?" I asked. I didn't like feeling like this again, as if there was a lot that  I didn't even know was happening. "Evelyn I asked you why we need to leave," I snapped following him to the kitchen where he had started throwing food in the bag. 

He stopped what he was doing for a second, and stared at me. "I'll tell you in the car," he promised. "Grab everything you need and get to the car," he stepped forward and gently brushed my my hair out of my face letting his finger linger on my now extremely red cheek. 

"Trust me Hazel," he said softly, "please,"

I coughed and stepped away, "right okay, fine, tell me in the car then, I'm expecting a very detailed explanation Evelyn" I could feel myself blabbering but I didn't know how to stop "when I mean detailed I mean detailed," I heard myself saying. I pulled a jacket on and in the process hit my hand on the wall. I hopped around  in silent agony. At least it shut me up. 

I was  in the car 5 minutes later. Evelyn was coming around from behind the cabin scattering something around it which sunk below the snow. He jumped in a second later, the tip of his nose and ears red. He slammed the car door shut behind him, muttering to himself. 

I waited until the car had started and was screeching down the road before I pulled a hat on his head. 

"However much you might believe it, you're not superhuman Evelyn," I said, "humans can get cold," 

He glanced at me with a expression I couldn't quite interpret. 

"Now will you tell me what's happening?" I asked. 

He nodded; he had been checking the review mirror every few seconds, and his grip on the steering wheel was hard. "I got a phone call when you were asleep," he said finally, his voice tight. "It was my supervisors," there was an edge to his voice I hadn't heard before.

"What did they say?"  said slowly. Whatever they had said had not made him a very happy bunny. 

"They said what I thought they would say," he said. And his voice was so cold I wondered if he was the one who was preventing the car from getting warm. He gritted his teeth for a second, before continuing "they said I was getting too involved with my work"

"Oh," I said blankly. If anything, I hadn't expected this to be what they had said. And I especially didn't think Evelyn's reaction would be so extreme.