Getting Answers- Pt 2

"Cookies," I blurted out.

Evelyn stopped unpacking and blinked at me, "what?" he asked looking slightly confused.

"I need to get cookies" I snapped.

He blinked again.

"Aaron said he made cookies, I need to get the cookies." I said trying not to sound as if I was telling him how I would murder him.

"At this time" Evelyn asked doubtfully. "Hazel..." he stared at me, "do you want to talk about it?" he stepped forward and I took an automatic step back. He looked slightly taken aback with my reaction. Great going with the casual act Hazel.

"I'll get them afterwards" I said finally.

"Erm?"

"The cookies," I snapped "I'll get the cookies afterwards."

"Oh...right," Evelyn muttered, he seemed to examine me with his eyes. "Go make yourself comfortable, I'll be there in a minute."

"Right" I said, trying to look friendly. Catching my reflection in the window I realized I look more like a constipating, strangled cow.

Evelyn nodded, and turned back to the food.

Damn you Evelyn, Damn you and those perfect-

"What?" Evelyn asked.

"What?" I replied.

"What did you say?"

"I said, what have you got there in your pocket?" I lied. My eyes narrowed suddenly. "It's not a gun is it?"

"What? Why would I carry a gun here?"

"Here? You mean you normally carry a gun?" I pressed.

Evelyn looked baffled.

"You do know that guns are illegal don't you?" I said. "Because they are you now, guns are illegal."

"I am aware of that..." Evelyn said slowly. He hesitated. "Hazel is everything alright?"

"Yes it is...of course, why wouldn't it be fine?" I said trying to sound cheerful. "You know if it's not a gun then you can take it out, not that you'd carry a gun..." I trailed off at Evelyn's expression. He stared at me for a long time before reaching inside his pocket.

"Slowly!" I demanded.

He blinked, and slowly placed his phone on the table. "Is that better?" He asked slowly." I nodded and turned away from him, not sure how much longer I would be able to keep this up for. His acting was just too good...

An act... it had all been an act. The concern on his face right now is just an act.

I couldn't help the disbelief washing over me, It had happened again. He, like Jacob, was just another liar. Except Evelyn was after something bigger, my project.

"I'll just have a shower then..." I muttered and strode away into the bathroom feeling Evelyn's eyes on my back through the whole thing.

Inside the bathroom I slumped down momentarily and stared around in despair. I could always get out through the window. I peeked out of the window. It didn't seem like I would make it if I jumped out. The jump out of the window before from the office had just been a fluke.

I'll just call Aaron. I thought to myself, he could help me- then join me in beating up that lying piece of scum called Evelyn. I walked back out of the bathroom and into the living room where Evelyn stood with a slightly strange expression on his face.