Forced Vows

Chapter 1

I stared at the floor in front of me, thankful for the veil which covered my face, hiding my paling face, and my now wet eyes. Just say no Hazel, something inside me said say No. I took in a shuddering breath, squeezing my eyes shut, trying to ignore everyone’s stare on me, trying to ignore my parents sitting in the front row.

“Yes-”

4 Months Earlier

Peep

I glanced at the phone in my hand and a happy glow filled my insides at the name on the screen.

Hey Hazelnut!

Looking forward to the evening

Jacob

I placed my phone back in my jacket pocket and stuffed my shoes on, opening the door. I walked down and a soft breeze blew in my direction. I was happy, I had never been so happy, for a second I remembered what had happened a few days ago, the thought made butterflies settle in my tummies. I swung my bag onto my shoulder, half skipping down the garden, out the gates and down the streets.

We had decided to meet at 6 o clock, and it was 5:40, I figured I should go a bit early...well more than a bit I guess. I didn’t care though, I was too happy.

I walked into the restaurant which we had booked, quickly taking my seat. I didn’t know what I would do for the next 20 minutes, maybe I would try and decipher what the food on the menu was.

A minute later, a waiter walked up to me “Would you like anything ma’am?” he asked. He looked like a typical, posh restaurant waiter. It seemed as if they only hired ‘good looking’ people.

“Oh I’m just waiting for someone” I said brightly.

“Of course ma’am” The waiter walked away.

I returned to looking at the menu and my eyes wavered to my watch, oh goody, only 15 minutes and he’s be here, maybe he’s be here earlier? Maybe...

I waited for a couple more minutes, and my eyes returned to my watch, 13 minutes later. God, this was taking long, I sighed and turned back to the menu.

“Look, darling I have somewhere to go”

My head shot up the voice, I recognized it to be Jacob’s, he was always on the phone or having meetings for his business, he was busy after all which made it better that he actually took some time out to meet me today.

I turned around to look for the voice and my eyes rested on a table to my side. Yes, he was on a meeting, just like I had assumed. I knew him well, I was proud at myself for that. I wondered for a while what he was talking about, though I never did get all the business gibberish.

He was sitting with a woman it seemed, she had brown wavy hair as far as I could tell, I couldn’t see her properly, Jacob’s head was blocking her way.  I returned to look back at the menu I held. I knew not to interrupt him during a meeting.

Only 10 minutes left anyway.

“But Jacob, can’t you wait? Tell her 15 minutes, maybe 20? Please?”

I glanced back at the table, I knew that voice from somewhere, yet I don’t know where I had heard it.

“No Darling, you know how she is” Jacob gave a sigh.