Where he works

The next day I woke up earlier than usual which gave me the advantage of eating earlier which gave me the advantage before. I was still in a terrible mood; truthfully I didn’t think I’d been standing up to myself enough. He can’t honestly force me to do something I didn’t want t, I was in way giving up too easily. In fact… what was the worst thing he could do anyway? 

Quickly I put on my heeled boots and wore my jacket then sat down waiting quietly for Evelyn to come. I had rehearsed the speech in my head for a while now, all I needed was to say it all and head to the door then walk out. It was simple any who, all I needed was co-operation. How stubborn could one man get?

I was about to find out.

I heard him come down before I saw him. And judging from his footsteps he didn’t sound much like a happy bunny. I examined my nails a little hoping my voice would be steady.  Evelyn strode towards the table, slowed down a little seeing me and dropped his coat at the back of his chair. Not surprisingly he wore a suit, a fantastically black suit as well contrasting with the white shirt, if I had worn something that white I’m sure I would’ve spilled half the world’s content on it by the first few minutes.

He glanced at the breakfast I had made, spicy mushrooms with bread and tea, and sat down. An awkward silence settled among us, if ii didn’t know any better it seemed his mood at worsened during the night, I wondered why.

“I have something to say.” I felt like I was confessing something but my tone suggested otherwise. I was glad to see my voice came out steady and firm enough to hide the little shakiness. Evelyn didn’t look up as if not acknowledging what I’d just said.

“I think- no I know that I have a choice over here.” Already messed up, great Hazel, fantastic. At this Evelyn slowed down a little but  didn’t  look up still. I glanced down a little frustrated, my levels of patience had decreased quite significantly ever since I’d been around him.

“I’m setting down a few things.” I added a little colder than I had rehearsed in my head, before he could start about the ever so disrespectful tone I had used on him I continued.

“Firstly, I’ll tell you if I’m going out.” See, I was being reasonable. “But you don’t have the right to stop me- if I don’t have the right to stop you- you don’t have the right to stop me.” I watched as Evelyn placed his fork down on the table and looked up, his mouth set in a straight line.

“Secondly I will try and get a job if I don’t want any further education and lastly… I’m getting my own room.” A vein twitched in Evelyn’s forehead which I proceeded to ignore.

“You know you can’t force me to stay in the same room as you.” I was trying to put it as bluntly as I could. I didn’t want to sleep in the same room let alone anything else than him. Following my plan I stood up and took my bag trying to avoid looking at his eyes. His silver eyes had turned even more colder than before.

“Don’t you want to hear what I have to say about this?” He asked quietly, I made the mistake of looking back and quietly shook my head.

“This isn’t something I’m debating about. This is something I’m doing.” Another mistake Hazel, just keep your mouth shut and walk out- how hard can it be?

“No.” I turned around and stared at him for a bit, his jaws were clenched as was his fist around the work he’d been using to eat and I’m pretty sure he had a right mind to hurl it at me.

“Right. Honestly Evelyn I don’t care.” Why don’t you just move Hazel? Leave!

“You can’t go out any time you wish-“