Ryota Meets Segaiku: Part 1

Ryoma's POV

Yawning loudly, I look over at my nightstand clock. '8:54 A.M.....'

Sitting up in bed, I go wide eyed. 'My match is in 6 minutes!'

Jumping out of bed, I rush to get dressed and grab my phone. Fumbling, I start to type in Ryota's number while running out the door with my equipment.

Running down the street in a hurry, I wait for Ryota to pick up the phone.

Ring....Ring....Ring....Ri- "Hello?"

"Ryota! I need your help!" I shout into the phone in a panic.

".....You overslept again, didn't you?"

Pouting a bit, I stop at an intersection, waiting to cross. "Yes! And my match is in" I glanced at my watch, "4 minutes!"

Listening as he sighed, I sprint across the street at my turn.

"Alright, you're lucky I went to get my tennis racquets repaired this morning, or you'd be on your own." He scolds me.

Relief washes over me. "Thank you, Ryo! Make sure to wear a cap so they don't know it's not me!" I remind him.

"I know, I know. Just get there before your match starts, I don't feel like subbing in for you."

"Deal! I'll see you in a bit!" Hanging up, I continue running. However, after turning at a corner, dread comes over me at the sight of a traffic jam taking place.

".....oh boy...."

Ryota's POV

After Onii-chan hangs up on me, I rush over to the clothing section of the sports store. Grabbing a white hat, I pay for it and sprint out of the store with my new hat on and tennis bag around my shoulder.

'Why am I not surprised by this?'

This had to have been the 5th time I had subbed in for Onii-chan when he slept in for a match. It's not like it was against my morals for helping him out, but after so many times, you tend to become exhausted.

Sprinting down the street, I was glad that my usual tennis shop was just a block away from the tournament courts.

Slowing down, I look for any sign of the Segaiku team amongst the crowd.

"Yo! Echizen! You're just on time!" A loud voice calls out, promptly startling me.

Turning around, I see a spiky black haired teen in tennis clothes with Segaiku on it.

'Well isn't that just convenient'

Watching as he jogs up to me, he gives me a quizzical look.

"You ok? You looked like you didn't recognize me." He wonders.

Shrugging, I glanc around, trying to find the rest of the team. "I'm just not really awake right now. It's so early."

Chuckling, the teen just reaches out and gives me a playful noogie. "Of course you are! Come on, everyone's waiting by the sign in tent."

Dragging me over, I notice the amount of looks being sent my way, along with the whispers.

"So that's the super rookie...."

"Heard he beat almost everyone...."

"Think Tezuka will play a match with him....?"

Feeling a bit self concious, I reach out and tug on the teens hand. "Um, senpai?"

He glances down at me and grins. "Come on, I thought I told you to call me Momo" he teases, but noticing the look of unease on my face, he quickly sobers up. "Hey, what's wrong?"

Looking up, I give him a weak smile. "I just don't really feel like walking right now. Can you just tell the others I'll wait here until the match starts?"

Giving me a soft smile, Momo nods. "Sure Echizen, we'll make sure to come by in a bit after checking in."

Leaving me to check on the others, I take out my phone while sitting next to a tree. Dialing Onii-chan's number, I wait patiently for him to answer.

Ring...Ring...R- "Ryo? I'm almost there, give me a couple of more minutes!"

Rolling my eyes, I lean back against the tree. "Where are you anyway?"

"I got stuck in a traffic jam, just, um, give me 5 minutes."

Sighing, I glance around for any sign of the team. "Alright, just hurry up. It's kind of hard to be you when your team starts to get suspicious."

Hanging up, I rest my head against my tennis bag and close my eyes. I stay this way for a while until voices were heard coming my way.

"Come on Eiji, make sure you don't bug Echizen too much"

"But Oishi! Ochibi's so cute!"

'Ochibi? Onii-chan is called Ochibi?!'

"Hey Eiji, I think Echizen is over there"

"Really Fuji? Where?"

'Crap'

"OCHIBIIIII!!"

I suddenly feel crushed as a teen hugs me tightly. Clawing at his back, I struggle to get free. 'Need. Air.'

"Eiji! He's turning blue!"

"But he's so cute! Cuter than usual!"

"Saa, Eiji, I think you might be right. Echizen seems cuter than usual."

"Fuji! Don't say that, Eiji will never let him go if you do!"

"Sorry Oishi. But now that I think about, he does seem blue in the face.

"Eiji! You're choking him!"

Darkness started to form around the edges of my eyes as I struggle to breath.

'So this is how I'm going to die....' are my last thoughts before I pass out.