Hospital-Part 1

Ryoma's POV

Beep...Beep....Beep....

My face is buried in my hands, my body hunched forward to rest my elbows on my knees. I don't know how long I've been in this position, but I know that the numbing in my body hints that it's been quite some time.

Beep...Beep...Beep...

I'm not the only one here, Ryoga was here a while ago, but he went back to the hotel to grab some items for us. I could tell it was eating him up to leave, the look of hesitation on his face the entire. But it was better if he left and rested a bit, got some space. Lord knows we both needed it.

Beep...Beep...Beep...

Sighing to myself, I lift my head up and wince at the bright florescent light from the ceilings. The last time I checked, the lights were off while the curtains were open to let in the sun. A nurse probably came by and closed them after checking on Ryota. I don't even notice them anymore. Squinting a bit, I let my eyes adjust until the picture in front of me clears up. Only to break my heart.

In front of me is my littler brother, my sweet Ryota, laying motionless in the hospital bed. His pale complexion does nothing to ease my nerves, neither do the wires and monitors connected to him. Bandages are wrapped around his forehead, his cheeks marred with small scratches that surround the oxygen mask placed over his mouth. A cast is secured on his left arm, the doctor claims it's broken and will heal in a few months, but a scar will still be there as a memory.

Despite his battered state, I knew that something else had to have happened to him. Ryoga had been talking with the doctor after the surgery, I was in the room with Ryota while they were outside, but I could tell by the look on my brother's face that the news wasn't good. After the doctor left him, Ryoga stood out in the hallway with his head hanging, his shoulders slump in defeat. It wasn't until that he came in that I finally understood the gravity of the situation.

Flashback

Walking back into the room, Ryoga avoided eye contact from me, choosing to stare at Ryota with remorse. Sitting down in the chair on the other side of Ryota's bed, he continues to stare at him. Anxiety eats me up, unable to take it anymore, I open my mouth to ask what happened when he beats me to it.

"The doctor..." He gulps and closes his eyes. "He...He said that Ryota would live, and that he would heal in time...." I notice his hands start to tremble as he grips onto his bloodied shirt. "But he also said that....that his legs are partially paralyzed..." At the shocked look on my face, he winces and continues. "He says that there's a chance that Ryota...Won't be able to walk again."

Sitting in stunned silence, something wet slides down my cheek. I know I'm crying, but I can't seem to make myself move at the moment. Getting up, Ryoga walks to me and kneels before me, hugging me tightly. Unable to help myself, I let my emotions come out as I break down sobbing for my brother.

Present

We had been in this room for two days. Two days of waiting for our little brother to wake up, for us to tell him how much we love him, to tell him that we would support him no matter what. It's hard to believe that two days ago we would never had thought this would have happened. That stupid driver on his phone wasn't paying attention to the road. The light had turned red, but he had kept going. Straight into the side of our car as we were driving down the street. Where that idiot driver is, I could care less, last time I heard he was in the custody of the police, but I knew that this wouldn't stop him from doing it again.

Buzz Buzz....Buzz Buzz...

Looking down, I reach into my pocket and grab my phone. After glancing at who was calling, I answer it.