Saying Goodbye

Ryota's POV

Walking back from the airport cafe, I make my way to the seating area for me and my brothers's flight. The past week had gone by in a blur. I had said goodbye to my friends at school, the ones I talked too besides Akashi, and even the tennis regulars as well. The team didn't know why I had quite, they only knew that I was offered to play in Wimbledon and I accepted it. After explaining that my brothers and I were leaving the next week, they wished me the best of luck and to come home safely.

Ryoma had been given a surprise sending off party by his teammates, the group even invited Akashi, Ryoga and I as well. Accepting their invitation, we all went to their friends sushi place and spent the night laughing and recalling old memories. Although I hadn't known Onii-chan's friends very well, I still appreciated their invitation and the fact they supported Ryoma's decision.

Overall, my last couple of days in Japan were great, they would have been better if everyone hadn't kept insisting that Atobe and I have our own goodbye. Ever since we had broken up, I had done virtually everything to avoid said ex. Luckily for me, Atobe had done the same thing.

Arriving at the seating area, I walk over to where Ryoga and Ryoma were playing cards on an empty seat. "Here, your can of Ponta and a large coffee." I say as I hand them their drinks.

Looking up, Ryoga gives me a smile. "Thanks, Ryo." Accepting the drink, he moves over to make room for me. "Wanna join in? I'm just about to win."

Scoffing, Ryoma accepts his drink as well. "What are you talking about? I've won six times already."

"Details, details." He replies while waving him off.

Laughing, I shake my head at their childish antics. "I think I'll pass, you two get so competitive." I tease while taking a sip of my vanilla shake.

Both my brothers turn to me and give me a scowl. "We do not!" They exclaim.

Rolling my eyes, I glance around the empty waiting area. "Uh huh, sure you aren't." I gesture to where a couple of shops are. "I think I'm going to go and explore a bit, I'll be back later."

Nodding his head, Ryoga waves me off. "Kay, be sure to come back in time."

Nodding my head, I make my way around the airport. I walk past a couple of shops that look pretty good, but I know better than to do so since airport items are so overpriced. After walking for quite some time, I find myself walking into an empty wing of the airport. Looking around for a bit more, I turn around and start to head back when my phone buzzes.

Stopping, I pull out my phone to see text message from Atobe. Feeling shocked, I open the message hesitently.

________________

To: Ryota
From: Atobe

Be safe

________________

Staring at it in shock, I feel tears in my eyes at the two words. 'Why does he choose now to act like he cares...Right when I'm about to leave.'

Growing angry and the message, I make my way to the bathroom. After looking around and making sure that it's empty, I lock the bathroom door and call Atobe.

RING...RING....RI-"He-"

"Be safe! Be safe is what you choose to say to me, right when I'm about to leave? I'm on way to another country, to get away from here and your bullshit and you choose to act like you care?" I yell over the phone.

"Ryota, I just-"

"No, you get no say in this right now. You tell me that you can't wait for me to leave, that I was nothing but a burden to you and all you wanted to do was get into my pants. You are done talking!" I yell, my frustration building as tears stream down my face. "I've had my heart broken by you....the man I loved who I trusted, who I knew I could confide in and you just through everything back at my face like it was nothing!" Sobbing, I bring my free hand up to wipe my tears. "I'm going to America to not only play tennis...but to get closure from....from..." Unable to handle it anymore, I lean against the wall as sobs rack my body.

Atobe's POV

"but to get closure from...from..." Ryota stops suddenly as he continues to sob over the phone.

Covering my mouth, I squeeze my eyes shut to prevent myself from telling him that it was a ruse all along, that I still love him and I never meant anything that I said. Listening to his sobs, I feel my chest hurt as if my heart breaks into a million pieces. I had just been sitting in the tennis club room after school, waiting for the student my English sent to drop off some paper work when I felt myself succumb to the temptation. I didn't know what I wanted to accomplish, a response? A call? Well I did...and it broke my heart.

I wait in silence as Ryota's breathing calms down along with his tears. What he says next practically kills me.

"Don't call me...Don't text me, don't even try to contact me...You lost that privilege when you betrayed my trust..." BEEP....BE-

Shutting my phone, I hold it in my hand for quite sometime, processing what he just said. Lowering my phone, I stifle a sob as tears stream down my face.

'I'm sorry....I'm so sorry....'

"Why do you do it....?"

Not even bothering to wipe my tears, I turn around to see Akashi standing behind me, leaning against the club room door.

"You love him...yet you choose to hurt him...I don't get it." Akashi continues, his confused gaze holding mine.

Looking down, I finger my phone in silence. "Sometimes...It's better to let the one you love go for their own good...No matter how much it hurts...." Lifting my head, I give him a pleading look. "Please don't tell him..."

I watch with baited breath as the red head looks down at the paper work in hands. He walks forward and hands me the pile while giving me a determined look. "I won't, not until the right time. I know we got off on the wrong foot before, but no one should have to go through this. So I'm going to help you get him back." He gives me a grin. "No matter how much you think it's a bad idea."

Smiling up at him, I nod and take the paper work. "Thank you" I whisper.

'I just hope it's not too late to make things right...'