First Day of School

Key:

Italics=Thoughts

Bold=Sound Effects

__________________________________

Beep...Beep...Beep...Be-SMACK

"Hng..." Rolling over onto my stomach, I slowly lift my head "6:15..." I read, staring at the blurry numbers on my clock.

Sighing quietly to myself, I slowly get up while rubbing my eyes. My back pops with a satisfying sound as I get up to start my morning routine, consisting of me waking my brother up. Instead of knocking on my brother's door, I make my way inside, knowing that he wouldn't wake up anyway.

"Onii-chan. Time to get up." I call out quietly, staring at my brother's sleeping form in his bed. Petting Karupin briefly, who's lying on the foot of the bed, I then sit on the side of Ryoma's bed.

Ryoma mumbles in his sleep, burying his face against his pillow. Unable to stop myself from smiling at his antics, I lie down on top of him.

"Onii-chan! I know you're awake, we have school today." I exclaim, poking his cheek repeatedly.

It takes a while, but Ryoma finally cracks one eye open and stares at me with a grin on his face. "Ryo~" He calls out playfully before pulling me down so I'm lying next to him. "Just come back to bed with me." The lazy ass whispers, pretending to sleep again with his face buried against my neck.

"Onii-chan!" I huff, puffing my cheeks while struggling to escape. "It's our first day of school! I don't want to be late!"

Sighing dramatically, Ryoma opens his eyes and smiles at me childishly. "I'll get up if you give me a good morning kiss~" With that, he closes his eyes and pretends to sleep once more.

Embarrassed at my brother's teasing, I give him a peck on his cheek, before pouting at him. "There, now can we get ready?" I ask.

"Of course we can." He responds, eyes wide open and a goofy smile on his face. Getting up, he reaches down and ruffles my hair to my annoyance before grabbing his uniform.

Thoroughly exasperated by my brother's antics so early in the morning, I head back to my own room. As I change into my own uniform, I frown at my reflection in the mirror.

'I know that I wanted to go to the best school in the country...But I can't stand the fact that I have to wear this ugly uniform.'

Once I'm ready, I grab my backpack and head downstairs. Nanako is already in the kitchen making breakfast for Ryoma and I when I enter.

"Good morning, Ryota. Breakfast is ready." She says with a kind smile.

"Good morning! Ryoma should be down any minute now." I explain, before eating my meal.

After a couple of minutes, Ryoma comes downstairs in his own uniform and sits down next to me.

"Good morning, Ryoma." Nanako calls out happily.

"Morning." He mumbles, the lack of sleep catching up to him.

"Ryoma," I admonish, "speak clearly instead of just mumbling random words."

"Well maybe I would have talked clearly if someone hadn't woken me up so early." Ryota says, sticking his tongue out at me.

Before we can start bickering with one another, Nanjiro walks in. Nanako, still her happy self, greets him on her way out of the room. "Good morning, Uncle. I'm taking my leave now for class." she explains and leaves right after.

"How are my boys this morning?" The Monk calls out, ruffling our hair while walking to his own seat.

Scowling, Ryoma reaches up and fixes his hair. "Baka, Oyaji! Go bother someone else!"