Chapter 37: Unsteady

Jace's heart nearly stopped beating the second Dayanara's protective barrier disappeared. Magnus had said that Dayanara had to be present to lower it herself. The other guest from the party started to disperse and go home. Jace felt like a spring that was tightly wound. It was driving him crazy not knowing what was going on with Dayanara. The mark on his wrist was making him anxious. Something was wrong with Dayanara he could feel it through the mark that bound them.
"Take it easy tall, blonde and broody. You're starting to make me dizzy." Magnus said as he looked at his boyfriend's Parabatai.
"Does none of this bother you, Magnus?"
Magnus stopped pouring the bourbon into his glass and turned to look at Jace.
"Of course I'm worried but pacing around here and have negative thoughts isn't going to change anything. We have two of the best people we know out looking for her. If something has happened to her. Then we are all they have left." The High Warlock confessed to Jace.
Still seeing uncertainty on his face Magnus continued. "The mark that bonds us to her is still here." He indicated the one on his chest.
"So she's still alive or the marks would be gone too." Magnus replied.
"What about her barrier disappearing?" Jace asked.
Magnus remained silent at first.
"That I'm not so sure. She may have used up all of her magick. Which could cause her barrier to fail and come down. Dayanara could even be unconscious right now." Magnus said trying to convince Jace that everything would be ok. Even though he couldn't shake this uneasy feeling he had.

Maryse Lightwood came up to Jace again to check on him. "Do you need anything Jace before I take Max home for the night?" She asked the young man who like a son to her.
"No I don't think..." Jace started to say before letting what he was going to say trail off.
"Actually, there is something you can do. Don't say anything about Dayanara to the Klave. Something tells me I'm asking for too much, but I figured I might as well try." Jace said as he looked at Maryse.

Before Maryse could say anything Simon came speeding back into Magnus's apartment, with an unconscious Dayanara in his arms.
"Sorry, to interrupt this family discussion. But we have bigger things to deal with.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Jace couldn't stop the fear he felt as he took in Dayanara's motionless form.
"Simon, what happened?" Jace asked he moved to take her from Simon.
"She's been stabbed and is losing a lot of blood. That's not the worse part she's been poisoned, by a poison that was designed to kill Warlocks. Luke seems to think the only reason, Dayanara is still alive is because of her Angel blood." Simon explained.
Jace shook his head. "If the poison is meant to kill Warlocks, that means we can't have a Warlock heal her either. It would put them in danger too." Jace felt the the resolve he had just found start to waver.
"Before she fainted, Dayanara said that the poison had been meant for Magnus." Simon said to Jace.
"Where's Luke now, Simon?" Jace asked the young vampire.
"He said that the only way to heal Dayanara was, to do it the old fashioned way and he had some calls to make. Do you know what he was talking about,Jace." Simon questioned the blonde shadowhunter.
"I have an idea, but I really hope I'm wrong." Jace said clenching his jaw till the muscle there started to tick.
Jace started toward the guest room that Dayanara had stayed in once. As he weaved his way through Magnus's apartment, with Simon close behind him. Alec and Magnus noticed them.
"Jace! What happened?" Alec called to his Parabatai.
As he followed him into the guest room. Magnus went to follow them into the room as well only to have Simon stop him.
"I'm sorry Magnus, but I can't let you go in there. You might be in danger as it is." Simon replied.
His words only seemed to confuse the High Warlock of Brooklyn.
Before he could question the young vampire. Jace answered for him.
"Dayanara, was stabbed with a sword that was meant for you Magnus. The blade was laced with a poison that was made to only kill Warlocks." His golden eyes met with Magnus's.
"That means that we can't just have a Warlock heal her. It would expose them to the poison. You're going to probably feel like you've been poisoned to soon. We're connected to Dayanara on so many different levels, thanks to the mark we share with her. Let's hope she's strong enough to keep you from dying too." Jace said as he looked from Magnus to Simon.
"Simon, you said Luke said we might be able to heal her the old fashioned way?" Jace asked once more.
"Yeah, he said something to that effect." Simon replied in return.
"Magnus, do you have ground arrowroot, garlic and honey. I can make a kind of salve to put on her wound." Jace asked the Warlock.
Magnus nodded his head.
"Yes, I have everything you need. While you do that I can make a slurry with the powdered arrowroot and put it into a drink for her." Magnus said as he headed to the kitchen.
A few minutes later, Magnus returned with everything Jace had asked for along with a mortar and pestle. Alec took the items from Magnus while Simon still blocked the doorway. Magnus then turned and headed back to the kitchen to make the slurry.
Alec leaned against the wall and watched as Jace added the ground arrowroot and minced  garlic to the mortar and began to crush, then mix the two with the pestle. As he was getting ready to added the honey. He heard Alec ask.
"How do you even know how to do this?"
Jace just shrugged.
"Dayanara, showed me how to do it. They each have their own healing properties. We just have to hope it's enough to help."
Pushing off the wall, Alec disappeared into the bathroom and reappeared with gauze pads and gauze bandages.
"Here Jace, I'll help." Alec said to Jace as he approached the bed.
"Can you get a wash cloth from the bathroom and some warm water?" Jace asked his brother.
"Yeah, sure." Alec replied as he headed toward the bathroom.
The paste Jace had made was now in a bowl. Jace sat it on the stand next to the bed. Picking up a pair of scissors from the stand. He cut open the makeshift bandage, Luke had wrapped over the wound.
Alec returned with a deep bowl filled with warm water. The second the bandage was removed the wound began bleeding. Jace took the cloth from the bowl Alec was holding and began to clean the weeping wound.
Alec noticed the black and blue tracks reaching away from the wound like branches.
"Jace, this doesn't look good. The poison is spreading pretty fast." Alec said in a warning.
Jace huffed out a big breath as he sighed.
"I know Alec, I know." He began spreading the herb paste he had made on the wound. The second it touched the wound, it woke Dayanara from her unconscious state.
"Ahhhahhh!" She cried out as her left hand snaked out to grab her wound. Jace caught her hand before it reached it.
"Dayanara, take it easy. I've got you, I've got you, some how we're going to beat this." Jace said as he tried to sooth her. He then reached a hand out to brush a stray hair out of her face. Beads of sweat were glistening, on her forehead. Jace was startled when Alec place a cool cloth on her forehead.
"Thank y-you." Dayanara said in a raspy voice, as she glanced at Alec.
"Yeah, thank you Alec." Jace said in return.
Alec just smiled at them both.
"You're welcome, Dayanara. It wasn't a problem, Jace. I'm going to go see how Magnus is coming with the slurry he was going to make." Alec informed them.
"Yes, please do, check on him. But don't leave on my account." Came a cynical but child like voice that both Shadowhunters knew well.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Jace's spine stiffened at the sound of the Seelie Queen.
"Why would you possibly want to help us?" Jace questioned as he narrowed his eyes at her.
"I never said I was helping you. I will do whatever I can to help her and the Warlock Magnus Bane. She does after all have my blood running through her veins too. So she is a part of me as well. She is rather fascinating, but you already think that don't you?" The Seelie Queen said questioning Jace.
Jace didn't answer her. He just continued with another question.
"Ok, so I have the reason you're willing to help Dayanara. But why would you help a Warlock?"
"I have no reason not to, he is a downworlder just like me. I have no ill will toward Warlocks." She took in the firm look in Jace's eyes before continuing.
"I will be needing something from him soon. It will not benefit me and my cause if he or she is dead." The Seelie Queen states.
"What cause could you possibly need a Warlock and a Nephilock for?" Jace asked.
"That is for me to know and me alone." The Seelie Queen said in response.
"How did you even know to come here?" Jace asked as he eyed her.
"I told you my blood runs through her veins as well. That and your little wolf friend sent a message my way." The Seelie Queen answered.
"Oh yeah, and how do you plan on helping?" Jace questioned.
"With these delicate beauties." The Seelie Queen said as she showed off two little silvery white petals that had an luminescent glow to them.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Alec walked into the kitchen and made his way toward Magnus.
"How's that slurry and drink coming?" He asked his lover.
"It's coming along and it is now finished." Magnus answered as he poured the gelatin like mixer into two stem glasses.
"Is that wine?" Alec asked as he took in the pink liquid.
"Yes, it's a sweet rose wine. It is Nara's favorite and it will hide the flavors of the slurry."  Magnus answered as he poured what was left into another glass. If this helps at all I'll have to make more."
Alec then noticed beads of sweat as they beaded up on his forehead.
"Magnus, you're sweating."
"It's just a little warm in here is all." The Warlock counter in return.
After setting the two glasses of wine on a tray.
Magnus turned toward Alec Lightwood and said. "Who knew that Jace would be right."
Before passing out in front of Alec.
"Magnus!" Alec cried out as he caught the Warlock in his arms.
Lifting him up in his arms, he made his way to their bedroom. After laying him on the bed and making him as comfortable as he could. Alec hurried to the guest room to tell Jace about Magnus.
"Jace, Magnus just fainted." Alec said to his Parabatai, fear shining in his eyes.
"Well, that didn't take long did it." Came the condescending voice of The Seelie Queen.
Ignoring the Seelie Queens words, Jace focused on Alec.
"Do you know if he finished that drink he was working on mixing up? Jace asked.
"He did it's in the kitchen." Alec said to answer Jace's question.
"You'd better hurry and go get it then. She won't do anyone good dead." The Seelie Queen ordered.
Alec disappeared and reappeared with the two wine glasses in his hands. The Seelie Queen walked up to Alec with the two luminescent silvery white petals. She dropped one into each glass. The liquid inside turned silver for a second before turning pink again. The petal then floated to the bottom of the glass.
"Make sure they drink all of it, even the petal. I will bring more when needed. It will take several days of this to weaken the poison that was used. The werewolf will bring more of the other ingredients you will need." The Seelie Queen informed them.
Jace, however didn't trust her.
"Why do they need to swallow the petal too?" He questioned.
"Valentine, stolen a poison and a plant from me, to create his Warlock killer poison. I'm the only one who could ever come up with an antidote for it. The petals are of my own making. I will not tolerate being stole from not by the likes of him. I'm leaving now." The Seelie Queen announced.
She and her three knights then disappeared out the doors.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
With the Seelie Queen gone, Jace stared at the glass of wine that now had white flower petals.
"You, don't trust her do you Jace?" Alec asked as he watched his brother.
Jace shook his head as he answered Alec.
"No not entirely, but I don't see where we have much of a choice."
Walking over to Alec he picked up a wine glass from Alec's hand.
"Well, here goes I'll do Dayanara first." Jace went and sat on the bed next to Dayanara. He sat the glass down on the stand next to the bed.
"Dayanara, it's Jace I have something I need you to drink for me. Do you think you can sit up for me?" Jace asked softly.
As Dayanara slowly opened her eyes she answered in a raspy voice.
"I think so."
She winced as Jace helped her sit up, allowing her to lean against him.
"Magnus, made this for you it should help you get better." Jace explained as he held the glass to her lips.
Dayanara, took small sips at first, a small petal passing through her lips. As it touched her tongue, Dayanara found herself gulping the drink down along with the remaining flower petals.
"Take it easy, I don't want you to choke." Jace coaxed gently.
Slightly embarrassed, Dayanara breathed out a response. "Sorry, I didn't realize how thirsty I was."
"How do you feel?" Jace questioned.
"The pain has lessened." She then yawned.
Jace gave her a small smile as he brushed stray strands of hair from her face.
"I'm glad to hear that. Just try and rest for now." Jace replied as he looked to Alec.
"It seems to have helped with her pain at least. Are you going to go give Magnus his?" Jace asked his Parabatai and brother.
"I don't know, Jace. If Magnus is only feeling things through the mark bond. Why should we listen to the Seelie Queen. You know how they can spin the truth." Alec countered.
Just then Magnus cried out in pain.
Jace looked a Dayanara's peaceful sleeping form.
"Still think he's only feeling what Dayanara is feeling?" Jace questioned.
Alec ran out of the room toward Magnus's bedroom.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Alec entered the bedroom and ran to the side of the bed. There was a fresh sheen of sweat on Magnus's brow.
"He has a fever now? This doesn't make any sense, Jace." Alec said in exasperation.
"Alec look there, Magnus is bleeding in the same spot as Dayanara's wound. Which means he'll have the same poison tracks as Dayanara." Jace pointed out.
Alec however, disagreed with Jace.
"You don't know that." Alec argued.
Alec then slowly unbuttoned Magnus's shirt until his torso was exposed, revealing a wound identical to Dayanara's.
"They share a physic connection. The only way to heal Magnus is to heal Dayanara first." Came a female voice came from behind them.