Chapter 52: Ungodly Hour

Warning: This chapter has Dayanara trapped in rubble after an explosion. She has been impaled. So there will be some blood and other graphic injuries.

Dayanara woke to sound of a flickering light and dripping water. Something slightly warm ran the side of her face. She moved to touch it even though, she was sure it was blood. But found she couldn't move much of her body and everything hurt. Pain was a good thing it meant she was alive. Dayanara fought against falling asleep. She wasn't sure what time of day it was, but she knew the flickering light wouldn't last long and she had to let them know where she was.
There was an old metal pipe running just behind her. Dayanara managed to lift the rock and knock it into the pipe. There was a metallic thunk, as the rock struck it. She wasn't sure if Magnus or any of her Shadowhunter friends would hear it. But maybe a Werewolf or a Vampire would, Dayanara was praying that Luke and Simon were okay and still there. She lifted the rock and smacked it against the pipe. Dayanara, wasn't sure how long she could keep at it but she had to try.
SSSSSSSSSSSSS

After some coaxing from Alec and Magnus, Jace had relented and agreed to rest. Which left Luke with Simon and Raphael.
"Hey, I heard you might need another set of ears." A familiar female voice said.
"Maia, what are you doing here. Alaric called me said you might have gotten in over your head. So I thought I'd come and check, so have you?"
"No, I haven't." Luke said gruffly.
"Look we might not all like each other. But this isn't about us, it's about Dayanara." Luke said and left it at that as he and Simon climbed in the hole first followed by Raphael and Maia bring up the rear.
They soon made it into a hallway that looked to be untouched by the explosion.
"It has to be from Dayanara's magick, right? Which means that she was thrown this way." Simon couldn't help but ask and then state.
"It's the best place to start and it leads the way Jace was thinking, towards the showers." Luke said.
"So you're just going to listen to the newbie that's been a vampire, all of five years give or take." Rafael said to Luke.
"Him I trust, I've known him before he was a vampire. You still have to give me a reason to trust you." Luke said giving Rafael a pointed look.
Just then Rafael turned his head to the left the same time Simon did.
"You hear that too, don't you?" Rafael asked Simon simply nodded his head.
Luke looked at Maia. She nodded her head as well all four in the search party could here a banging sound.
"It has to be Dayanara right?" Simon asked.
"Unless, there's another Shadowhunter trapped down here then we're screwed." Rafael said in response to Simon's question.
Luke shook his head. I checked with Alec earlier all Shadowhunters were accounted for. Dayanara is the only one who's still missing."
After a few minutes of walking towards the sound the condition of the building started to get worse their feet splashed on a water covered floor. Luke stopped the second the banging stopped.
He held out a hand to stop everyone.
"The banging stopped that's were you two come in. Can you pick up her heart beat, or smell anything over the smoke, dust, and  ashes?" Luke asked his two vampire companions.
"Yeah, yeah I think I can hear it, but it's weak and there's a weird echo to it. I smell Dayanara's blood to a lot of it." Simon says to Luke.
"The Newbie is right, I can smell her blood. I've never smelled anything like it before." Rafael said before looking at Simon as he moved in the direction the smell of Dayanara's blood was coming from.
"Wait, did you say there was an echo to her heart beat?" Rafael asked before closing his eyes and focused his hearing on Dayanara's heartbeat. There was something else there. But it wasn't in her heart. The rapid flutter of a heartbeat tiny and new.
"That wasn't an echo, that's was the sound of a new heart beat, one that just started beating not long ago. Dayanara is pregnant and that weird echo is the baby's heart beat." Rafael sighed as he came to a stop.
"That's one huge wall of rock between her and us." We better a better call in reinforcements, or the sun will be back up and we'll have to leave." Rafael said, indicating himself and his vampires.