7. S'mores

"Was that the last of it?" Thor asks as he unloads the things from the carriage. 

   "Yes thank you so much," Fariq says. I turn to Alice to see that she's teaching Ryanne how to ride a horse. They've gotten quite close these past several days. 

   "Today there is bonfire," Lubna tells me and my brother. "Everyone is welcome though I think only the children are going," she smiles. 

   "A bonfire would be quite nice. I could use some wine and a buffet right about now," he yawns. The couple look to each other in confusion. 

   "I don't know how you do your bonfires but we just have s'mores," Fariq laughs. 

   "S'mores?" my brother questions them. 

   "It's a dessert. I think you'll like it just fine," he pats him on the back. Thor awkwardly laughs and wanders off to where the horse is. 

   "Loki, how are you?" the man says. 

   "I'm good," I force a smile. 

    "Good, good, good," he lowers his voice and takes a seat next to me. "I am a kind man for making you stay here, no?"

   "Of course," I say and sit up properly with my back straight.

   "That's what I thought," he smiles and looks around. "You would never break my trust is that right?" this man looks me dead in my eyes. 

   "I'm sorry, I don't see where you're going with this," I attempt to laugh off. 

   "If I see you with my daughter," he pauses. "Well let's just say you won't think of me so kindly." Is this a threat I'm hearing? Who does this man think he is threatening a god. He pats my shoulder and walks away with his hands in his pockets smiling. I look to Thor who is with the horse and make my way towards him. 

   "Thor," I whisper loudly. He looks at me with an eyebrow raised. I gesture for him to come to me which he does. "I think the man just threatened me," I say wanting to provoke Thor. 

   "Who? Fariq?" he looks to him. I nod my head. "What for?"

   "He told me I can't be with his daughter," I gulp. 

   "Well then don't be with his daughter, simple." He walks away from our conversation and that was it. I squint my eyes and scoff. I will not be told what to do, by anyone for that matter. I approach my way up to Alice and Ryanne. 

   "I'm going up to the city tomorrow morning, you should come," I overhear her talking to Ryanne. 

   "That would be great," I intrude with a smile. 

   "I was talking to Ryanne but yes, you could join us if you want."

   "So I heard about the bonfire. Will you be there?" I look in Alice's eyes.

   "I don't really like those things. Its all kids and I was planning on sleeping early anyway for the ride tomorrow," she turns her face to both me and Ryanne to keep it from being a conversation of just us. 

   "Come on, no. You have to be there," Ryanne begs. "I want to see what it's like here at night and I don't want to go alone."

   "Okay, but we leave early because we need our energy for tomorrow," she surrenders. I lick my lips and keep my gaze on Alice. I want it to be known that I couldn't care less about what anyone has to say. 

~~~~

   The sun no longer shines, and the full moon came out tonight. The people of the village gather around the huge campfire, sticks of marshmallows in their hands. Is this what they do here for fun? I spot Alice, steal two sticks of marshmallow from random people, and make my way to her. I hand her one with a smile and she takes one off my hand while looking around. 

   "I saved you a spot," I smirk. She sighs and smiles. She looks off once again. "She already sat herself," I say assuming she's looking for Ryanne. She raises her eyebrows and chuckles. 

   "Alright then let's go before all the logs are taken." I follow her all the way to where I can start feeling the heart from the fire. She takes a seat by Ryanne and I next to her. Not a lot of people decided to show up. I gather about 15 did, mainly children. 

   "Where's the booze," Thor roars. 

   "We don't have any," Alessia frowns. "Sorry about that."

   "What do you mean you don't have any? That's impossible. What kind of place doesn't have booze?" She shrugs her shoulders at him and he sighs, letting it go. He makes his way towards me with a whole bag of marshmallows and a stick. 

   "You weren't supposed to take all of it," she says shocked. After he sits besides me, he attempts to place a couple on the stick. We all look at him concerned and he smiles wildly and continues to place them in the fire. 

   "That's where the marshmallows went," a kid about 10 yells. "It's with the guy who has girl hair." He snatches the bag and sticks his tongue out at Thor. 

   "Hey," he says. "I don't have girl hair and I'm the god of thunder."

   "Alright lord of thunder. Whatever you say," he laughs. I roll my eyes and see Alice place her marshmallows in the fire. I mimic her actions because I have no idea what a s'mores is.

   "So," Alice begins. "What's the story between you three?" she raises an eyebrow. 

   "Well," Ryanne answers with a smile. "These two clowns were trying to take me in and get me executed."

   "Hey!" Thor's eyes widen. "You stole from the vault and killed two of our guards," he gets defensive. Ryanne huffs and rolls her eyes.

   "Well I was not expecting that," Alice widens her eyes. 

   "But you shouldn't die for it," he finishes. She looks from the ground, back at him. "Everyone deserves to redeem themselves." They lock eyes and she takes a gulp and gives him a short smile. I narrow my eyes looking back at the two and then shake the idea from my head. 

   "And what about you," Alice turns to me with a hand on her chin and an elbow on her knee. "Who are you, really?" she squints her eyes. I take a moment to gather my thoughts because first of all, it's easy to fall for grey eyes like those, and secondly, I don't know. 

   "I'm the god of mischief," I grin. 

   "Come on. You've got to be something for than that."

   "I... ," I pause and look around before I finish. "I don't know," I sigh. 

   "Well that's a shame," she pouts and brings her marshmallow in. She blows on it and walks away. 

   "Loki, your marshmallows are one fire," Thor yells. I quickly snap out of it and blow the fire out leaving my marshmallows black. Alice comes back with chocolate and crackers. 

   "Here, I got some for everyone," she says. "Loki, your marshmallows are burnt," she points out. I bring my lips in and raise my eyebrows. "Don't worry," she takes the stick off my hand and removes the outside layer that was burnt. "It should be fine now," she smiles and hands it back to me. I furrow my forehead and thank her. We all try to assemble our s'mores as Alice demonstrates. I hold up my final work and smile. I turn to see Thor pathetically try and remove the stickiness of the marshmallows from his hands. I laugh at the site and finally take a bite of the delicacy.