17. This is different

Ryanne's POV

   So many buttons. I step into the shower and turn the lever. Water immediately splashes in my eyes and face and so I shut it off. I bring my body out of the way of the shower head and then turn it on. I adjust the water to my liking then step back into the view. There's another shower head on top of me but let's not try and get into that. What's the point of having more than one. Luxury, I scoff. 

   I dry myself then put on a pair of grey sweats the maid had given me earlier. Pepper finally arrives from her meeting and catches me in the act of reading. 

   "Ryanne, are you not going to the party? I heard Thor and Loki were going."

   "I'll be okay here. Thank you for asking though," I say before going back to my book. From the corner of my eyes I see her making her way towards me. 

   "That's a good book," she smiles. I look up and give her back an award smile. "So you like to read?"

   "Yes, my mother used to read to me as a child."

   "Say... Did you know the hosts of the party own a huge library with tons of selections. It's breathtaking to say the least."

   I can clearly see what she's trying to do here. But I am curious. Is it as good as she says it is? She raises her eyebrows waiting for my response. I roll my eyes and sigh. "Fine, I'll go."

   "That's great Ryanne. Please let me give you a dress to borrow. And can I do your makeup as well? Is it too much that I'm asking? I'm sorry."

   "No no, it's all good," I laugh. "Yes, you can do all of that."

   "Oh okay good," she sounds relieved. "I thought I was doing too much. Well then let's hurry. We have to be ready in an hour and a half."

   I close the book in my hand and follow Pepper to her room. 

~~~

   "All done. What do you think?"

   I look into the mirror and see a black smoky ring around my eye. She went with red lips and conjured my face as well. It's like I'm a different person. "This is um, different," I nod my head as I put the mirror down. 

   "I went with a smoky eyeshadow look because I thought it was your style. Don't worry, you might not see it, but you look amazing. Trust me. Now go put on the dress. I can't wait to see it on you." 

   My eyes widen as I look at the dress. It is very risky, let me tell you. The dress is satin black with two thin strips to support the whole thing. It has also a slit in it as well. Nothing like what I've worn before. I smile a fake smile as I take the dress from her. 

   "Don't forget the necklace," she hands it to me before I could leave the room. 

   "Oh yes how could I forget," I say sarcastically. 

   I make it to the bathroom and slide the dress over my head. I take a second to look at myself in the mirror. Is it weird if I said I liked this look just a little bit. I look at the necklace I placed by the sink. It's silver and looks like it could be worth thousands. I slowly pick it up not wanting to ruin it somehow and try clipping it to the back of my neck. It won't budge. I try and again and someone barges in the bathroom making me almost drop the jewel. 

   "Bloody hell," I say out of breath. "You scared me."

   "I didn't think anyone was in here," Loki says. 

   "Why didn't you knock?"

   "Why didn't you lock the door?"

   "Huh." This door can lock?

   "Never mind," he shakes his head. 

   I go back to try to clip the necklace and catch Loki laughing by the door causing me to roll my eyes. "Can I help you with something?"

   "Looks like you're the one who needs help," he smirks. 

   "I don't need your help," I mock and attempt the necklace on my own again. His gaze and being under pressure is not helping the matter. I sigh before putting the necklace down. "Okay, you can do it."

   He licks his lips and smiles, "I didn't here a please. Can you say that again for me?" he teases. 

   "Screw you." I just won't wear the necklace, it's not a big deal. 

   "Fine, I'll help you. Just give me it." I give him the necklace and he slides my hair away, his hand touching my shoulders causing me to shiver. He slowly drags the necklace across my bare chest before locking it in place. He stays there, and I feel his hot breath on my neck. For some reason my breath starts to get heavy as I wait for him to move away. He shakes his head and snaps out of some kind of trance. I clear my throat and turn my body to face him. 

   "So how do I look?" my eyes widen and I smile. 

   "You look like every other Midgaurdian now," he squints his eyes. My jaw drops and I look myself in the mirror again fixing my hair that Pepper had straitened. Yes, this is definitely not what the ladies of Asgard would wear but I think I look relatively nice. I never did wear what was accustomed anyway. 

   I look him up and down and laugh. "You can't be possibly going in that." He looks like he's ready for bed. 

   "No of course not. Who do you think I am?" He looks in the mirror, and in a flash, he appears in a black on black suit with a black tie. 

   "Wow, you clearly can't do anything by yourself without magic."

   "You're just jealous you don't have any."

   "I don't need magic. I have my strong mind," I point to my head and pout. 

   "I have a strong mind too."

   I chuckle and walk past him to get to the door. I pat his chest before leaving. "Sure you do." I can't help myself but keep laughing down the hall. Loki is quite the comedian.